Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do you write on?

It appears to be the former. So, for instance, a GNCxxx “stand alone” radio set needs to be connected to a GPS receiver and to be loaded with a Garmin databa$e.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Follow up question: how many pens do you drop during the average flight???

Zero. I have a pen holder on my kneeboard.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

When I use a folder with a notepad in it I have a pen attached by string. Duct tape both ends. Works very well.

EGKB Biggin Hill

(It’s the only pen I have which runs out before I lose it!)

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

(It’s the only pen I have which runs out before I lose it!)

I think in all my flying I did not yet empty a single pen (of course I can’t be sure because I have used many different ones…). One usually doesn’t write more than three or four full lines of text per flying hour – sometines just a few figres.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Zero. I have a pen holder on my kneeboard.

Me too

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What do you write on? on the back side of IAP/STAR/SID from previous flight(s). Plenty of them available. Considered switching to scratch pad on ipad but never tried….

what is drop rate? this question is not relevant since I implemented 0.1 USD/GBP/EUR non-TSOed solution below. Lost rate is zero. Works better with wooden traditional pen.

Last Edited by Michal at 23 Sep 18:54
LKKU, LKTB

Both of those get written down, for sure.

I heard new one today: “Descend 7000 ft and contact approach at xxx.xx with new squawk xxxx.”

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

One thing nearly forgotten today is the old wisdom of radiotelegraph operators: sharpen your pencils on both ends in case the lead breaks.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I have a kneeboard with pen holders and scratch paper (a5). I have 2 pens and a pencil, in case anything should happen… :)
Only dropped a pen once.
I tried using the scratchpad built into SD, but unfortunately, found the writing to be too tedious, as I have to use my fingers. I looked for a pen/stylus, and bought one recently, but it was the old-school style, hard plastic tipped, rather than the new capacitive type, which doesn’t work with my tablet.

Also found that using the scratchpad built into SD didn’t provide enough space.
Put in a request to have predefined tabs at the top of the scratchpad window, so it would be easy to flip between GND/ENR/APP etc. but in their usual ‘heartwarming’ way, the dev team torched any hope of that happening…

So, paper keeps its place in my cockpit (for now).

Last Edited by AF at 24 Sep 02:53
Sign in to add your message