Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What does P1 actually mean?

Now you can go back to the insurer and tell that officially there is no such thing so it can't be a risk!

Tumbleweed - negative; it's a role designation, not a seat designation. It is as my 1972 era logbook quaintly but helpfully puts it, the "Pilot in Charge". The Captain in other words. They are responsible for everything that goes right or wrong - wherever they're sat.

So back to fattony's question - flying with an instructor as your passenger, you're still in charge - he just happens to be an instructor. Flying with an instructor for purposes of learning stuff, he's in charge, you're PUT, he's P1.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

My logbook has only two options, Commandant de bord and Double (not counting, on the virgin expanse under ‘multi moteurs’, Co-pilote). Are these different types of pilot a UK thing, or does it exist elsewhere? Everything else above seems to originally refer to military and/or multi-pilot aircraft.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

My understanding is CDB = PIC and DOUBLE = PUT at least that is how I convert some hours in France to UK

The only place where I saw P1/P2 are gliding and military (I have some logbooks on those as well), but they are more fuzzy definitions tbh (like who sits in front/back vs left/right, it seems there are “no licences to fly” )

Given how hours logging is confusing, I always keept one logbook for each country I flew in, then I can do the maths latter

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In May 2018 I contacted a broker to get insurance for a newly forming Group.
I was surprised that only total hours was asked. Anyone with over 100 was acceptable. So a PPL with 99 hours to pass and 2 since would be O.K, but someone who got their PPL in the minimum time, then flew solo to 99 hours total in a year would be too inexperienced.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message