Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What does the controller mean?

Hello,
I was looking à YouTube video and the controller announced « report 2mile left base runway five »
What does it he expect? Go directly on the left base and announce when you are 2miles of centreline ? How far from threshold should you intercept the final? I have been looking on internet but three seems to be some confusion.
Your views are welcome.

Ps the video

at 17:00

Edit to correct runway

Last Edited by jfw at 20 May 16:19
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

I think it means a left base to join a 2 mile final for runway 05 ( the one I heard was for 5). I think you are still expected to join on the 45 downwind.

Last Edited by JasonC at 20 May 16:12
EGTK Oxford

It is ambiguous, but I would expect to report 2 NM from the extended center line or 2 NM from the threshold or somewhere on base.

KUZA, United States

Good topic, and thanks for explaining the ambiguity… I’ve never understood precisely what is meant but FWIW I report when established on base, and do not join on a 45.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 May 16:32

This is not terminology you should ever hear in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Without further information, I would happily do what Jason said.
Base join, completing the turn onto final at a position 2miles out.
An efficient way to join and land in many cases and I often ‘tweak’ my positioning inbound so that it makes sense for the controller to offer me a base join. (Obviously where I have previously considered it on the options list)

United Kingdom

I would interpret this as Jason has said already (but not a base join as GA_Pete suggested above). Do a normal join for downwind and make your base turn so that you have two miles to the threshold when you turn final. The conroller has suggested a reporting point, but has not provided instructions to do anything abnormal.

What GA_Pete is suggesting (a base join) is quite a common occurence in Canada, but the controller says ‘cleared left base’ (instead of ‘cleared left downwind’). When cleared to do so, I would skip the downwind and join base.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

When I am instructed in the US to report base, it means go directly there ASAP… there is no underlying ‘standard join’ protocol in use at ATC airports. The ‘game’ is to occupy valuable space in the sky for as little time as possible, and he wants to get you on the ground and out of the way. In my experience hanging about and/or flying around the airport will not be popular with ATC if you are told to report base on an initial inbound call, and he will likely think you didn’t understand the instruction.

Again in my experience, the word ‘cleared’ is used only for landing on a US VFR arrival.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 May 20:14

Well, given the ambiguity, this appears to be a very good question. From the Nav Canada VFR phraseology book I have attached an example. This one is for downwind, but the controllers often say base or final instead, if that is what they want.

I see what Silvaire is saying and agree the controller is likely just trying to get you out of the way; I am just not sure on the phrasing. I might expect ‘proceed to right base’ or something along those lines. I took a quick look for the FAA phraseology but didn’t turn it up with a brief search.

I guess some context might be in order here; 95% of the time it has been very clear to me what the controller wanted (in the other 5% I would have to ask). For example, if I had been following a VFR arrival procedure or a string of vectors and the next obvious thing was to establish on a base leg, then I might not be concerned with ‘report base’. However, if I was just showing up at a controlled airfield out of the blue I would not interpret ‘report base’ to mean head direct to a base leg. For me, ‘report’ is not a clearance. Given the ambiguity between all of the commenters, probably best to clarify with the controller if you are unsure.

Similarily, if you are cleared for an approach (e.g. an RNAV), you are expected to fly the approach. The controller asking you to report a point is just that, ‘make the report when you are at the point’. You are not cleared to shortcut through the procedure.

Nav Canada

Last Edited by Canuck at 20 May 22:00
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

I had assumed that a readback of the pressure setting was compulsory internationally

Egnm, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message