Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What if ATC deny an "avoid due to wx" because of military airspace?

You can’t give what you don’t have. ATC can ask everything they want, but they don’t always GET what they ask. It has been mentioned before, but an unexpected entry into military airspace can ruin a whole excercise that was planned weeks beforehand. I wouldn’t take this lightly. If ATC can’t give you what you want then they will go for the next best thing. This could be 40 degrees to the left iso 15 to the right, but if it solves your problem I’d take it.

EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

In France, I have been told by French pilots, the military own all the air as a default position and allow civilian traffic use it. I don’t how it works in other countries.

The opposite in Sweden. In fact Sweden doesn’t have any military airspace or even any military ATC at all. Military traffic are assigned sectors on a tactical basis.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 12 Sep 13:22
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

In France, I have been told by French pilots, the military own all the air as a default position and allow civilian traffic use it. I don’t how it works in other countries.

Not sure where that comes from? roughly 75% of France airspace is managed by civilian ATC by default and 98% of French airspace can be used by civilian aircraft:

here local copy

With notable exceptions (e.g. Iraq/Afghanistan), most countries will have their airspace run by civilian ATC by default, maybe Netherlands ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Sep 12:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

The opposite in Sweden. In fact Sweden doesn’t have any military airspace or even any military ATC at all. Military traffic are assigned sectors on a tactical basis.

So what are all those restricted areas I was asking to fly through 2-3 weeks ago…?? And I am pretty sure that at least once I was talking to a military controller about crossing airspace…though I could be wrong on the last bit…

Dont get me wrong, Scandinavia has so far been the best place Ive flown in Europe outside of France, and the ATC service is actually better IMHO. The only “ouch” point is some of the fuel and “handling” prices at certain airports.

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 13 Sep 13:10

skydriller wrote:

So what are all those restricted areas I was asking to fly through 2-3 weeks ago…?? And I am pretty sure that at least once I was talking to a military controller about crossing airspace…though I could be wrong on the last bit…

If you tell me what restricted area(s) you’re talking about I could possibly answer the question.

And I am pretty sure that at least once I was talking to a military controller about crossing airspace…though I could be wrong on the last bit…

There are no military controllers. Military airbases all have civilian ATC. There are fighter control units, but they’re not ATC and they don’t issue clearances — but they can request and relay clearances from ATC. They have “military-sounding” callsigns — typically names of predator animals.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Sep 13:24
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message