Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What if you had 5k to spend on flying

What if you where a young PPL pilot (say 25-35years) and had 5-10k to spend on your free time passion: flying

What would you choose:
- Make some great (inter)national trips and spend everything
- Obtain additional ratings (NVFR, EIR, tailwheel, aerobatics)
- Learn to fly a greater variety of aircraft
- Keep on saving money till you have more to spend (on a aircraft?, on a full IR or MEP)..
- Keep the money, invest it in something useful and postpone flying dreams till you are richer and older..

I think I will/would choose option 1 or 2 ;-)

EBKT, Belgium

I would go for the full IR

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Get your hour building done, preferably in a tailwheel and on a nice long distance international jaunt.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

International trips & spend everything. That about sums up my flying…

That after all is the purpose of it all! The ratings are a means to the end!

Anything left over can go into senseless avionics upgrades….

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 24 Oct 19:10
Tököl LHTL

I’m thinking right now, what my next goal should be, too. Funds are limited as well.

Would love to go for the full IR, but a) too much money and b) no suitable plane at hand afterwards.
So I will postpone that, till i can also use it after the training.

So for me it is (hopefully) great trips and i will give aerobatics and maybe tail-wheel flying a try.

EDGH

Spend it flying however you can. EIR or Night sounds a good plan in any case if you can not spend the time travelling, otherwise I’d fly around Europe a bit and get experience.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Medres07 wrote:

What if you where a young PPL pilot (say 25-35years) and had 5-10k to spend on your free time passion: flying

That’s basically my situation (I am very lucky to be able to spend so much in flying, soon it won’t be the case ).

My plan is to

• get the ratings needed to tour : PPL+NVFR+check-outs on touring aircraft (F172J and DA40 for me). DONE
  • tour and spend everything IN PROGRESS
  • get the CB IR
  • tour Europe IFR (spending every penny )
  • and then other ratings : mountain flying, MEP, FI, what else ?
  • very long term : IRI would be great

8k with an IFR plane gives you about 40h/year which is great.
I don’t expect to have the budget to own a plane, maybe a share would be best for me. Quite uncommon in France though.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 24 Oct 19:57
LFOU, France

If I was a young pilot in that situation, and no more obvious money coming later, I would spend the 5-10k on some trips around the more scenic parts of Europe. There is a huge amount to see, in the right places, and e.g. flying over or around the Alps is an amazing experience. Come to one or two EuroGA fly-ins

Otherwise, if I had the funds available in the future for a reasonable amount of flying, I would spend the 10k (you won’t do it for 5k) on the full IR. That will totally transform your flying… not so much where you “can” get to (in Europe, every IFR trip can be done VFR) but the ease with which you can do it. But this is worth doing only if you will have access to a decent plane, and the money to fly it seriously.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A few years ago I did my first 7 day big tour around Europe. Cost around 5k. Unforgettable!

EGKL, United Kingdom

In 2001 I was in that age band and got my IR (in the US) for about that price.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 25 Oct 06:40
LFPT, LFPN
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message