Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is a HI-ILS or HI-LOC

The main difference I see is that the ILS platform is a bit higher (3000ft v. 2300ft).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AFAIK it is a procedure to get military jets down in an efficient way, minimizing excess fuel burn at lower altitudes. The final part resembles a normal approach, but look at the intermediate segment: From FL 200 to 4500 ft in 15 NM.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

“HI” means high-altitude, and they have steep descent from >FL180 to the platform altitude, after which they are “normal” approaches. The platform is not necessarily higher than in the corresponding standard approach.

Biggin Hill

Great; I will try that tomorrow

Administrator

Could you use the opportunity to attach some temperature sensors to the engine, so we can talk at length about your measurements and what they indicate about the reality of shock cooling?

Biggin Hill

The FL200 hold remark says it all (“not to scale”)

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Oct 20:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

The FL200 hold remark says it all (“not to scale”)

It also says MIL USE ONLY….

Assuming those jets on average fly something like 300 KTAS on that segment, that would be a ROD of -5000 fpm. Quite impressive…

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Peter wrote:

Great; I will try that tomorrow

Your plane has TACAN? < shock >

Last Edited by lionel at 18 Oct 22:52
ELLX

Assuming those jets on average fly something like 300 KTAS on that segment, that would be a ROD of -5000 fpm

I believe @buster1 might know about this

Your plane has TACAN? < shock >

Funnily enough the Sandel SN3500 EHSI (I have two of them) has a TACAN decode/display option. It is a $1k cost for the software key to enable it. What kind of receiver would support this I have no idea. I’ve not heard of any “GA” product which does TACAN. Sandel sell a lot to the military sector.

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message