Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What OTHER things do you love ... ?

I share a wonderful life with my wife, and four kids

I’m a volunteer firefighter, with 23 years experience, okay, that does include flying from time to time,

And, fun is restoring old diecast toys (Dinky, Corgi and Matchbox mostly). I buy up the broken ones, merging parts from several to return one to new condition. Unlike the anonymous toys of today, you can strip the paint off a UK or France made diecast toy of 40 to 80 years old, and see the file marks made by a worker, who really cared to make it right. Those toys have character….

As an amusment, the Dinky Toy Gloster Gladiator was the smallest Dinky Toy ever made….

http://www.miniatureaircraftcollectors.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1204

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Building small boats and strolling in the Danube Delta. This is my last one, a Lobster boat 15 designed by Selway Fisher in UK.

LRSV, Romania

Thank you Neil for your kind comment. Yes, she is a one off, has been round the world twice, just over 45’, and weighs in at 14.5t.

She sails beautifully, and the small dinghy aft, has a mast and sail so the kids can learn also, without totalling the bigger one!!!

Well spotted stick and rudder..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Sailing !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

relax

Last Edited by Vref at 12 Jan 12:34
EBST

Somebody asked him what he thinks of CRM

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So I will post my music stuff too :-) Recently started playing this, I inherited it from my grandfather (who played it in a pub band). Made about 1940, a Dallas D banjo uke “George Formby” brand. This is a photo just after he got new strings and goat skin head:

Also have a couple of keyboards, I bought the Roland A90 when I was living in Houston (I know exactly when I bought it – it was an ex-demo model, and I got it the day after Lady Di was killed in that infamous car crash in France). Awesome keyboard. Over the years I’ve had it only needed to fix it once – the linear regulators eventually broke their solder joints to the power supply PCB. (Also converted it to 240v at the same time so I woudn’t need to take a US to UK transformer around with me everywhere).

More recently got a vintage Roland Juno 106 analogue synth. Recently that needed work, 30 years of some quite revolting gunk in the keybed had caused some keys to stop working, once I cleaned out the cigarette tar it worked much better!

(The analogue part is at the top right of the board, the black packages are the hybrid circuits with the oscillators and filters.) The Juno 106 was very advanced for 1984, it had two processors (although analogue, it is digitally controlled which makes it pretty user friendly, it also has an excellent and very complete MIDI implementation, it will send the position of the analogue slider controls via MIDI so you can link two Junos together and set the filters on both)

Construction of the Juno’s keybed

I’m also kind of obsessed with preserving our personal computing history. Here’s a little project I did with a friend in Oxford – we networked 12 Spectrums together to play Mahler’s First Symphony through 12 beepers. They were synchronized over ethernet. See the YouTube video for the explanation. Yes, we know it sounds terrible, but that was not the point. If we wanted it to sound good we would have used an actual orchestra :-) The ethernet card is something I developed about four years ago. (I hope Peter doesn’t look up the PCB design, it might give him an aneurism :-)

See the YouTube video here for the full explanation, Matt says in the video why we did it (a 30 year old challenge in the Speccy manual no less!)

Sometimes flying and retrocomputing cross over, a few years ago I flew to Huddersfield with a MicroVAX amongst other things in the back of the Auster!

Andreas IOM

Sometimes flying and retrocomputing cross over, a few years ago I flew to Huddersfield with a MicroVAX amongst other things in the back of the Auster!

Retrocomputing and retroflying in one flight

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Still forgot to mention two web comics that I follow

http://freefall.purrsia.com/lastthree.htm

is a bit too philosophical, at times, but helps in keeping one’s mind supple by not accepting things as self-evident that needn’t be

http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/?p=2145

will be known by many round here, I suppose.

But perhaps the theme merits a thread of its own, in the hangar talk?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Somebody asked him what he thinks of CRM

checking the OAT with his tongue and thinking, way to hot for flying today

Last Edited by Vref at 12 Jan 17:09
EBST
Sign in to add your message