Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What percentage of pilots fly abroad?

No, there is an AIP VFR!

That sits on the bookshelf next to the AIP IFR. But honestly, I have never really looked into it, or into an actual AIP of any other country. When I was flying privately, I either had a “Fliegertaschenkalender” (a miniature pocket version of the AIP, but for Germany only) or a “Bootlang Airfield Manual” (now run by Jeppesen under a different name) that contains all the relevant information for most European countries.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Maybe, since teach for an FTO that does IFR stuff, etc. as well. I was referring to typical PPL schools.

What Jeppesen does is “summarize” the information from the AIPs. It is however my experience that they tend to omit a lot of relevant stuff. The above french thing is an example. Won’t find it in the Jeppesen. Plus the AIPs are free, whereas the Jeppesen costs €€€.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Mar 13:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Plus the AIPs are free

Where exactly? You can get the IFR stuff from Eurocontrol, but the VFR part?

Certainly not the Swiss VFR Manual (as it is called), it costs CHF and comes on paper or CDROM (but not online, Skyguide says FOCA objects…)

LSZK, Switzerland

Rhino, PM sent…

Yes…, Germany and Switzerland (with their “VFR AIPs”) are the exceptions.

All the other ones are on the famous EAD database and on the various national websites.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Mar 14:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Certainly not the Swiss VFR Manual (as it is called), it costs CHF and comes on paper or CDROM (but not online, Skyguide says FOCA objects…)

It’s now included electronically in SkyDemon, though (if you pay the extra subscription, that is).

Last Edited by Patrick at 12 Mar 15:14
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I have been entering logbooks in an electronic form and was struck by how rapidly after getting my US. PPL I started doing international flights in Europe—within a few hours of flight time. There were 2 key components: access to 1-2 week rentals without daily minimums and CFIs who “showed me the ropes.” After a couple extra hours of dual, I was off on my own, quite quickly doing Germany to Italy (via Rhone valley). I periodically returned to CFIs for additional training (like when I decided I wanted to transit the Alps). You have to “just do it” + you need a mentor + you have to be able to afford it.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 24 May 04:46
Tököl LHTL

Just as for aerobatics, I guess that the percentage varies widely between countries and clubs/aerodromes. In my local club barely 2% regularly leave the Scottish FIR, but roughly a third do aeros of some sort (with or without the EASA rating) in a Pitts, a Bulldog, an RV4, a Citabria and (soon, inshallah) a CAP10.

At a border aerodrome like Annemasse or Enniskillen I would expect those percentages to be reversed.

As for VFR in France, as long as you avoid power stations and check the AZBA/RTBA timetables, there’s nothing to grumble about.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
98 Posts
Sign in to add your message