Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What proportion of GA IFR aircraft are equipped for LPV approaches?

DavidC,

The 80% that are equipped to fly the T routes does not imply WAAS capability, just GPS enroute or terminal capability. This is also not a fleet equipage, but how aircraft flying IFR using V routes are equipped. The vast majority are not WAAS capable and are filing US domestic flightplan forms (NAS) where G is specified for the equipment code. Unlike ICAO, the NAS flightplan form combines all the equipment codes into a single letter, so G means the aircraft has at least GPS certified for enroute and terminal operations. It doesn’t have anything to do with WAAS nor any specific approach capability. T routes are RNAV 2 routes and are approved in the US for all GPS units that have terminal and enroute IFR certification. Any aircraft filing a NAS flightplan with G for equipment or an ICAO flightplan with G may be assigned a T route. In order to file and use RNAV 1 routes in the US (RNAV SID or STAR), the equivalent of PRNAV routes elsewhere, one must use an ICAO flightplan and specify R for PBN with PBN/D2 in field 18. Also, RNAV(GPS) approaches only require the flightplan to have G specified as ATC doesn’t know or care which set of the minimums the aircraft is equipped to fly. If the pilot requests an RNAV approach, they will get cleared for it.

KUZA, United States

After drooling over Mooney Driver’s refit, I did a bit more googling on the original topic (what proportion of IFR GA aircraft are LPV capable) and found this writeup related to FAA outline plans to change their airway structure, with an interesting bar chart of equipage on V-routes today. Seems that around 80-90% of IFR GA aircraft are “Advanced RNAV” equipped (i.e. WAAS). Much higher than estimates given earlier in this thread.

European equipage percentages may be different, but without access to real data (eg derived from flight plans), nobody can know for sure.

I have to say the proposed approach to airspace evolution sounds very sensible to me.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I don´t know if the Straubing box has in the mean time received added functionality or if they have found a better way of doing it

No, it’s still the same. It works OK when your vertical speed is slow. The S-TEC altitude preselect (ST-360) is ridiculously expensive which is why it is seldomly installed these days. I was very lucky to have gotten it for 500 € from somebody who installed another autopilot. Only used it for a year until the Avidyne DFC-90 became available. Will pass it on one day to a worthy pilot.

Hi Achim,

we had the test flight yesterday and the test crew were very happy with the autopilot performance, in fact the test pilot knows the S-Tec 55x very well from his Cirrus installation (which he upgraded to the Avidyne) and sais that he finds this installation to be much better. They tried several altitude captures as well as one LPV approach and one ILS and came back very happy indeed. He said that he was very surprised about how well the autopilot works and how it is implemented. I don´t know if the Straubing box has in the mean time received added functionality or if they have found a better way of doing it

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Nice. You will find that the Aspen is the best use of money in avionics you can find. Nowhere else you get that much for your investment. S-TEC is just the only game in town so it’s moot to discuss how good or bad it is. The Avionik Straubing altitude preselect works be “pushing” altitude hold when it has reached the selected altitude. That means oscillation. You should have asked me, I have an S-TEC altitude preselect sitting on my shelf, that one is much better as it adjusts the climb/descent rate as it approaches the target altitude.

Still a lot less than a new airplane Flyer59…. I am looking forward to see the TAS values off the Aspen, test pilot today reported 147 kts TAS @ FL65 with about 65% power… for a C’ Model I’ll take that any time.

Peter, LOL, well, none of them ever gave me trouble so don’t fix what works I suppose.

Very nice! But I would not want to see the invoice …

Awesome! The autopilot especially is really going to transform IFR for you (and VFR)…

But… you left out the really essential thing. You missed the chance to replace those 1944 toggle switches with proper milspec ones

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ouuuh… Sexy!

Well, my aircraft just did it’s acceptance test flight this afternoon and will now be certified for LPV as well. Garmin 430W, plus S-Tec 55x with Flight Director and Autotrim plus Aspen EFD1000 Pro. The flight test crew were VERY happy with the performance of all components and particularly the autopilot performance, to their surprise actually, as one of them knows the S-Tec installation from his SR22. He said the performance in this installation is way better than what he remembers. Really happy camper here at the moment :)

Pic I took 2 days ago while still in the hangar during first live tests of the systems.

Aspen EFD 1000 Pro with Flight Director

Ready for test flight.

I must say I was very happy with the way the installation and certification was handled, also by the FOCA, very helpful, good advice and good people working with us. The people at Avionitec and Seiferle Aviation did an excellent job on this.

What we did is:
- GNS430 WAAS upgrade
- S-Tec 55x Autopilot with Autotrim and Flight Director
- Avionic Straubing Altitude Preselect
- Aspen EFD 1000 Pro.

Now waiting for the paperwork to be finalized and we can start flying.

85 Posts
Sign in to add your message