Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What’s your preflight workflow?

The thread about the Skew T online course led me open this thread. Wanting to learn from you so interested in your „flying workflow“. Maybe to formulate it into a more structured procedure.
Especially related to Weather and Navigation. Which tools, websites etc. do you use?

Mine looks more or less like this (abbreviated):

Few days+ before:
Check google weather for broad overview (= does it show a sun, cloud, rain, snow) for departure, destination, a place enroute and alternate.

Check austrocontrol wx for area overview (Europe) of weather systems (highs, lows, warms, colds).

Foreflight: Route, Charts, Topography, Weight and Balance etc..

Check the AIP for any major surprises (e.g. airfield open only every third full moon between 12:30 and 15:45 if the date falls on an even number and is not a wednesday). ;)

Search euroga (and google) for any local intel.

For „non 10000 feet runways“ check TO/LDG performance in the poh.

The day(s) before I use a combination of telegram autorouter bot and austrocontrol wx for TAF, Sigwx, webcams. A quick google weather check using the timeline also helps (morning, afternoon). Notam check via austrocontrol and foreflight. GRAMET for a broad overview, but crosschecking has installed my mistrust in it.

Day of flight:
Foreflight to File flightplan, compute Weight and Balance, pack briefing (ofp, metar/taf, notams, charts).

Austrocontrol WX to go over Radar, GAFOR, sig WX, Sat images, TAF and text area briefings. Also call the met office to listen and compare their analysis with mine.

Telegram autorouter: webcam, radar, metar.

Probably forgot something but that’s roughly it.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t have a workflow and it’s all a little chaotic, but the usual pattern is:

Day before:
Rocket Route for airport info, planning the route, fuel planning, m&b, sending the flight plan and sending the handling request.
Sometimes, if I don’t like the route from RR, I would use Autorouter and paste the routing back into RR.
Windy and this Polish synoptic map for general weather overview, Flugwetter.de for significant chart.

On day of flight:
Ogimet for gramet, AeroPlus for METARs, Windy and sat24 for radar and sat image.

During flight:
Export route from Rocket Route app to JeppFD App and fly with JeppFD open. If flying VFR, I would plan, file and fly with Sky Demon.

LPFR, Poland

For an IFR trip, my workflow would be this :

Few days before :
- General weather tendancy (sun, cloud, rain, storm, snow, etc.)
- Check AIP (opening hours, fuel avail, etc.)
- NOTAM for departure and destination airfield (planned airport/runway closure, navaid U/S, parking PPR, fuel avail, etc.)
- Mail to the airport manager to see if I missed any constraint (opening hours or code to obtain for accessing the restricted area, Parking restriction, etc.)
- Custom if needed
- Route planning via autorouter (route planning, fuel planning, WB, etc.)
- checking Approach plates to see any particularity

Day before :
- General weather tendancy
- NOTAM for DEP, ARR, ALT, ENR.
- Aircraft status (hourly maintenance, remaining fuel, technical status)
- Filing FlightPlan
- Flightbag load and electronic equipment charge (Ipad + External battery + Backup VHF + Lights + Extra AA batteries for Headset)

D-Day :
- general weather tendancy
- autorouter briefing for weather (charts, Metar, Gramet, SkewT, etc.)
- if weather is not perfect : windy, meteox, jeppesen icing, sat24 and sat images.
- export Fplan to Skydemon and JeppFD.

For short notice weather update :
Aeroweb (aviation section of METEOFRANCE) / Aeroweather / Autorouter telegram bot / Skydemon Weather utilities

LFBZ, France

It varies according to the trip I am doing. Here is the full checklist I have, with non flying related bits (e.g. toothpaste) removed:

Weeks before

Airport – Notams
Airport – PPR/PNR
Airport – Avgas

Days before

Weather – MSLP/Windy.com
Airport – PPR/PNR recheck
GAR
Book hotels & confirm they got it
Current data
– laptop
– T2 tablet
– T705 tablet
– KLN94 database
Charge everything
Oxygen cylinders filled
Handheld radio charged
Develop airway routes
Routepacks on laptop

Day before

Weather
– MSLP
– Cloud tops
– Long TAFs
– SigWx
Notams
File flight plans
Print enroute charts
Print approach plates
Aircraft
– full tanks
– left outside for early morning departure
– call re airport PPR for early departure
Book taxi ?

Pack
– passport
– pilot license
– driving license
– cash
– AIR BP card
– main laptop + USB SSD
– T705
– VFR charts
– phone power pack
– EuroGA leaflets
– spare batteries (charged)
– 2nd oxygen cylinder

Morning of flight

Weather
– TAFs/METARs
– IR image
– Sferics
– Weather radar

Phone departure they have the flight plan
GO

Obviously for a short trip much of the above is skipped.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think that because PPL training, and equally IR training, are deficient in training people to fly from A to B, if you asked 10 people you would get 10 different answers

That is probably why so few responded. Everybody does something different. Also, at this time of the year, a lot of people are only just “waking up”…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I think that because PPL training, and equally IR training, are deficient in training people to fly from A to B, if you asked 10 people you would get 10 different answers

That is probably why so few responded. Everybody does something different. Also, at this time of the year, a lot of people are only just “waking up”…

Getting 10 different responses is fine. I think the greater problem, and more likely reason for so few responses, is that few people have a process.

EGTK Oxford

Not entirely sure I would have written that, especially if flying a jet

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Not entirely sure I would have written that, especially if flying a jet

Well, you didn’t and you don’t.

Why would you write that? What is your issue with what I wrote?

Last Edited by JasonC at 04 Apr 18:29
EGTK Oxford

Jason didn’t say HE didn’t have a process. He said he thought few people have a process.
As a VFR, retired, PPL I watch the weather, and decide at last moment whether to fly, and to where. Tomorrow has been likely for several days.
PPR etc will be after I decide where, tomorrow.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I am sure Jason has a process, but if he posted it, I must have missed it

Administrator
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message