Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What to do with old flying resources?

What do people do with old flying stuff?

Magazines

• I holepunch my Info-Pilote and keep them in folders, one for each year. I occasionally want to look something up and it’s really annoying searching through years’ worth to find what I’m looking for. A really sad person would create an index
  • Someone donates their EAA and Flying magazines to my parents’ local public library, who resell books at $1 and magazines at 25c to raise funds. After reading them I leave them at my aéroclub in France if anyone wants them for English proficiency.
  • Leaving them at a club is the obvious option, but someone told me they leave theirs behind in waiting rooms (e.g. doctor, dentist) as an advert for GA. I like this

Maps

• Usually I just bin these after a while. It can be fun comparing an old map to a recent one, but you can’t keep everything.
  • I’ve given a few in the past to the local Air Scouts, but they only want one to put on the wall and that’s it.
  • Someone else I know uses sectionals as wrapping paper at Christmas. A cool idea.

Flight guides

• If you get a new one every year there must be some residual value selling the previous year’s on ebay. I’ve been trying to sell a 2002 Bahamas and Caribbean guide for ages and can’t get rid of it. I don’t mind giving things away, but it feels wrong to just bin stuff.

Any other ideas?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I leave my copies of flying magazines in the pilot lounge at my airport. Or if it gets too much, I just chuck it.

The magazines I read are now digital. I still receive paper magazines in the mail, which is annoying, because they also come in digital format. There seems to be no option to have digital only, I guess someone is protecting their paper business, or pilots are generally very old

Dentist office etc sound like a good idea. Never thought of that.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have a ton of US AOPA mags to give away to anyone who wants to remove them

They are good “grass roots flying” reading; lots of vintage and taildraggers. The organisation tends to stick to that in their writing because it is non-divisive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message