Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What was your favourite flying trip ever?

I guess the number on for me was a trip to ‘Nordkapp’. That was before I moved to Norway, when I mainly flew out of LFOL. We used 8 days in total, with good weather almost the whole time (we had to stay on the ground only one day).
But just second to that was my first multi-day trip. That was shortly after I had gotten my PPL (yesterday or maybe a few days before that, let’s see… ok it was in 2001…). The instructor of the club suggested a 4 days tour to me and a couple of other pilots. On day one, we left LFOL in the early morning and stopped for lunch in Megève (the instructor had the ‘qualification montagne’). Then we continued to get a ‘foundue’ for dinner in Méribel and spent the night there. For day 2 we took lunch in Alpes d’Huez and then flew to Cannes. For the next day, since it was mid-August, we decided that the beach in Cannes were too crowded and flew to Propriano, where we had the beach for ourselves :-) That was the only time I went to Corsica, but we did see quite a bit, flying around Bonnifacia and stopping in Calvi before returning to Cannes the same day. on Day 4 we returned to LFOL with one last stop in l’Alpes d’Huez. For a first multi-day trip, it was superb:-)

Short trips, from ENVA, my favorite is Vinnu (ENSU) about 1 hour south west in the Sunnmøre Alpene, with some glacier on the way and a nice grass runway at the bottom of a narrow valley, quite impressive place! I should also mention Meråker, just East of ENVA, where the owner welcomes you with coffee and kannel boller :-)

ENVA, Norway

Mine was very simple and quite short as well as being repeated almost annually. I collect and fly wartime aircrew (as do many other GA pilots) to a meet up with other surviving aircrew from those dark times. It is all organized by Project Propeller and the sheer joy it brings to these wartime heroes is just amazing. Thanks to Graham and everyone else who organizes, I just act as a taxi service for some true heroes but they don’t acknowledge the term!

UK, United Kingdom

Time to revisit this old one

Kastelorizo, Greece, 2018, exactly 3 years ago

It also produced some amazing movies

Hard to believe it was 3 years ago. A whole bunch of people I knew have stopped flying too in the meantime, including Chris with the Bonanza who was the other person to get there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have been pondering this question for some time and it was a bit hard to answer.
Surely, like many of you I have been very fortunate to do very special GA trips to special places, including in aviation heaven USA. And with a bit of luck I’ll be on an atlantic crossing this fall.
But if I look back, the more humble beginnings were really just as memorable. Going abroad for the first time.. Doing a tour around the UK isles with a beat-up PA28. Going from Holland to Mallorca for the first time (2 day trip) in that same PA28. Maybe not spectacular but very memorable in the context of the experience level you had then..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

You have been royally ripped off. They are having a big party right now!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Quoteboscomantico wrote:

Still, the sum is outrageous. In these countries, they almost expect you to “discuss” their requested fees with them, over a cup of tea.

Maybe, but I’m more keen to discuss the price of something I saw in the souk, not a service of a service!! I was really surprised!!
For a week of parking, all the ‘regular’ taxes plus that extra handling of handling, I was charged 480 euros, which is almost the same I was charged in Alicante for a 5 days stay, and 320 euros for 2 days in Essaouira.
Also, the refueling guy (they were actually very friendly and nice to us) in Essaouira told me that Tanger, Tetuan charge the fuel at the ‘international rate’, i.e. more than 3 euros / liter) even for national destinations. In Essaouira, we paid 2.40 euros per liter which is almost the same (or little less) than Lausanne, as we came from Tetuan.

LSGL

It was only a question of time when they woud start robbing handling fees also at Moroccan airports.
These 3,16€-type landing fees, together with the foreign pilots surprisedly laughing at the faces of the employees sure didn’t help.

Still, the sum is outrageous. In these countries, they almost expect you to “discuss” their requested fees with them, over a cup of tea.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Just achieved a 3300nm trip in July, from Lausanne to Sardaigna, back to Lausanne, then Alicante, Tetuan, Essaouira, Malaga, Perpignan and then Cannes this week.
Back to Lausanne again on Friday.

Only drawback concerns the astronomic handling fees in Morocco. Added to the regular landing, parking, private flight fee tax and ground services, is a 230 euros tax for handling representation which is simply robbery. The handling agent in Essaouira didn’t even provide a wind or TEMSI charts for the trip, which did his colleague from Tanger for our Tetuan departure.
That’s a bit expensive to carry luggages :-(

Apart this and the little flight plan glitch between Alicante and Tetuan, every leg was a real pleasure!

LSGL

The first flight over the Alps is ultra memorable – provided one can actually see some of the rocks, which isn’t always the case

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Super Cub on skis in the Swiss Alps was awesome.

Forever learning
EGTB
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message