Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where could one fly in an F16?

Apparently it used to be possible some years ago in a certain place in Europe, but not anymore…

That Thunder City outfit in South Africa has reportedly risen from the dead and has various jets (not the F16 though) but reading the attitudes to maintenance described in huge detail in one of the accident reports makes one not even want to sit in one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would be surprised if one could book a flight in a F-16 anywhere, as this aircraft is flown by “serious” Western airforces.

There are various companies advertising flights in MIG-29 and similar Eastern equipment, however (eg. www.migflug.com)

The L-39 seems to be very common, and you can do a checkout in the L-29 in Brno (LKTB). They did touch and goes the last time I was there.

Last Edited by blueline at 13 Oct 15:43
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Maybe one can book a flight on one of those Link

EDDS - Stuttgart

I only found that jet trainers are available in Europe to fly (provost, gnat, L39). In the Netherlands you can fly the Fouga Magister: http://www.dutchfouga.com/

I once saw an ad for an F5 fighter jet in the US.

I never tried it, but I can imagine the thrill…

jkv
EHEH

I’ve never heard of any civilian operated F-16’s. The closest you’ll get is probably a flight in a Mirage III trainer at Payerne, Switzerland.

Link

Last Edited by it_flies at 13 Oct 17:44
EHLE

The closest you’ll get is probably a flight in a Mirage III trainer at Payerne, Switzerland.

Like a jet version of the TB20….I’ll take an F5 any day. :)

Although as an air cadet in Australia I did get to fly in an F18.

EGTK Oxford

Like a jet version of the TB20….I’ll take an F5 any day. :)

Is it really that bad?

But any enterprising pilot can set something up. Just skip the whole turboprop business and move straight to twin Klimov’s. This one’s even got new paint:

Link

EHLE

There are budget variants, too – I think one can still get a flyable MiG-21 for ~40k EUR here in Czech Republic. Even the fuel burn is “reasonable” – some 2 kg/NM with the least hungry of three possible engine types. It won’t do a cobra like MiG-29, but it’s quite agile. My first instructor told me a story of his first training flight in a MiG-21. Trying to roll it, he jerked it the way he used to do on an L-29. He got a roll all right… three full turns.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message