Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to buy new cylinders for IO550N for a Cirrus SR22TN?

I’m beginning to understand why it’s said that a turbo eats cylinders. Now I’m wondering whether going a bit slower (65% instead of 85% engine power) might prolong that wear and tear on rings and cylinder wall.

This maybe of interest.

I don’t know of anyone who tried it, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

658595A2BP cyl valve assy loaded balanced

Beware that part number seems to be a full set of 6 cylinders which explains why it is so expensive. Aviall also says the package is huge and weighs nearly 200 pounds so that also indicates it is a full set…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

dirkdj wrote:

I would suspect baffling as a possible culprit. Uneven cooling around the circumference. I also fly a TN Bonanza but with the Liquidair baffles. After about 1000 hours all is fine.

I’m at 1122 hours and this is the very first time I’m experiencing the topic. So it appears I’m good ?

Frequent travels around Europe

Anyway, if you have to work on the cylinders, take a very good look at the baffling while in there.
My own Superior cylinders were scrapped at 1100 hours, due to AD, but the autopsy showed perfect health. On a TCM engine the #6 cylinder needs extra cooling attention..

EBKT

The advantage of the Continental loaded cyl assy is that it includes new piston and rings for a reasonable package price, minimizing chances of future problems on that side.The disadvantage (vs repairing your cyls) is that history has shown the exhaust valve alignment has been wanting…but you can fix that as suggested.

The only reason to buy the 6 cylinder pack is if you want balanced piston weights. I am afraid there is no way to get perfect balance on a mid-life engine if you are only replacing one or two cylinders: the only way is to replace them all, but that is a big price to pay for a small advantage in vibration levels.

This side of the pond I have not used any of the reputed Belgian or German shops.

If going to the US side of the pond, I would purchase new conti cyls directly from one of the shops that specializes in doing cylinder work and ask them to address exhaust valve adjustment to simplify logistics. I used Penn Yann in the past (though I seem to recall they subcontract cylinder work). At least they would take care of all US side of the logistics for you.

Whatever you do, make sure your aircraft shop is happy for you to do it this way.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message