Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which airports require slots?

I am looking for a comprehensive list of all airports that require a slot for arrival/departure, for IFR or VFR.

Slots are a national thing and do not fall under any EU or Eurocontrol regulation. Each country has its own regulation and system for acquiring slots. We are currently teaching autorouter to warn users about slot requirements.

The more airports we identify, the better. If possible, with a link to the official source of the information. Thanks!

Hello!

All “level 3” coordinated airports do. In Germany: http://www.fhkd.org/index.php/coordinated Worldwide: http://www.wwacg.org/FTableList.aspx?list=62 (that list has more than the level 3 airports!)

Regards
Max

Last Edited by what_next at 12 May 15:25
EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks what next. That wwacg link is very useful. Do you happen to know how “summer” and “winter” are defined?

We have already implemented Germany, if you paste a flight plan (in ICAO format) it will give you a warning when it’s to/from a level 3 coordinate airport and there is no RMK/ASL<10 digits> in your flight plan: http://www.autorouter.eu/wiki/flight-plan-addressing/fpal-parse-flight-plan/

To further complicate matters, some fields need to operate such a scheme due to local regulations, well apart from national regulations. One that I know of is Ursel EBUL. The place also requires PPR, though, so everything can be discussed in one single phone call.

(for those who wonder or are confused: this is one of several military fields that are only rarely used by the military, but are open to restricted recreational use by civilians on weekends and holidays. EBZR Zoersel and EBWE Weelde have a similar statute.)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

That wwacg link is very useful.

Did you see: At the bottom, you can download it as Excel file!

Do you happen to know how “summer” and “winter” are defined?

From the IATA page:

When do the summer and winter periods of slot allocation begin?
The northern summer season begins on the date of Daylight Saving Time (DST) introduction in European Union countries, which currently always takes place on the last Sunday in March. The northern winter season commences on the date Daylight Saving Time (DST) ends in European Union countries, which currently always takes place on the last Sunday in October.

We have already implemented Germany…

If you put REQ ASL under remarks (flight plan field 18), in most cases you will get an airport slot without calling the coordinator first. Our students do it all the time for their training flights. (I am not so brave and always phone Langen before filing.)

Last Edited by what_next at 12 May 15:44
EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks for the summer/winter pointer!

If you put REQ ASL under remarks (flight plan field 18), in most cases you will get an airport slot without calling the coordinator first. Our students do it all the time for their training flights. (I am not so brave and always phone Langen before filing.)

Only when filing via DFS AIS. If you file via Eurocontrol (as all automated solutions do), then DFS will not see the flight plan before it becomes active and fight plans cannot be modified afterwards. You have to know the ASL before filing which is rather inconvenient. For Germany there is an automated slot procurement system where you send an email in a special format defined by IATA and get a response with the slot number (hopefully).

Both LSZH and LSGG require slot coordination.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I am sorry if my questions are evident, but if I would like to get it clearer:

- Slots concern airports that are “Level 3 coordinated”: what does that mean ?
- Slots can be obtained through different ways:

• on the airport website or by phone with their desk
  • by the handling agent
  • with the magic REQ ASL formula when filing via DFS AIS (it won’t work with the autorouter)

The slot reference (10 digits) should appear as a remark “ASL”: what does ASL stand for ??

With no slot, one can be denied landing at destination, and eventually can be prosecuted.

At last, dealing with the autorouter, what is – as for now – the “warning” level of integration for slots requirements ?

Thanks all for your lights !!!

Slots concern airports that are “Level 3 coordinated”: what does that mean ?

Level 3 airports are those where you need to obtain a prior slot.

The slot reference (10 digits) should appear as a remark “ASL”: what does ASL stand for ??

Airport slot?

At last, dealing with the autorouter, what is – as for now – the “warning” level of integration for slots requirements ?

Obviously you can’t rely 100% on the absence of a warning, we’ve tried our best by defining rules in our flight plan parsing engine and display slot warnings. You have to do your due diligence yourself but in case we give you a warning, it might be helpful for some pilots. We now added a warning for the next AERO shows in Friedrichshafen…

Normally you plan your flight, call the responsible body or email to receive the slot, insert it in the relevant field in autorouter and file. In the near future you will be able to enter the slot after filing. In the not so near future we might procure it automatically for you.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message