Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which countries in Europe allow H24 unattended runways?

This has come up on various occassions.

The UK certainly allows it. If airfields close when the tower is empty, or at night, that is simply their policy.

Germany appears to have the flugleiter requirement – e.g. here although there is some recurring debate as to whether this can be “bent” in certain conditions.

This is not the same as operating a “farm strip” i.e. an airport which is unofficial. That’s a separate regulatory matter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Germany the answer is a clear “no” (as “bending” rules would not qualify for “allow”). It’s general German regulatory philosophy, that you must not perform a dangerous activity in a public facility if no “official” is present who could call help in case something goes wrong.

This “caring” attitude of German regulation is not only true for public airfields, but also e.g. for public pools that must not be used if no lifeguard is present, racetracks that are only allowed to open for private driving if minimum staff is present, etc.

Germany

That’s a separate regulatory matter.

Not in Norway. It doesn’t matter if it is a natural field (could be a field of grass) or ENGM. It is the owner of the ground that decides, or the operator. Several AVINOR fields are open outside opening hours, but AVINOR has decided VFR day only and not between 2300 and 0600 for some reasons. Noise at nights I guess.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

This is not the same as operating a “farm strip” i.e. an airport which is unofficial. That’s a separate regulatory matter.

So is the question about any runway or just those that are “official”? In fact, even the definition of “official” varies by country.

The UK model is likely one of the most liberal in Europe, being similar to the North American one. I believe a similar situation exists in Ireland, doesn’t it?

France definitely allows H24 unattended runways.

Assuming that “unattended” means that the airfield/runway may be used without a “person of authority or responsibility” being physically present on the airfield, then even the very highly regulated Switzerland allows it. On the other hand, each airfield in Switzerland has an operational approval which contains any eventual operating restrictions. Some of these might be required by the authorities, others simply by the operator.

LSZK, Switzerland

Estonia, with one exception- when our main airport (Tallinn) was closed for night during the coronavirus, it really was closed. For all others “closed” means that you can land and take off under your own responsibility ..

EETU, Estonia

Malibuflyer wrote:

It’s general German regulatory philosophy, that you must not perform a dangerous activity in a public facility if no “official” is present who could call help in case something goes wrong.

I would add too that “public” here means accessible by the general public, not the common meaning of being owned by the public / the people as in some sort of governmental department or organization. In other words, a private facility is “public” in the above sense if it is accessible to the general public even if run by a private firm or club that limits access.

Last Edited by chflyer at 09 Jun 11:12
LSZK, Switzerland

LeSving wrote:

Not in Norway. It doesn’t matter if it is a natural field (could be a field of grass) or ENGM. It is the owner of the ground that decides, or the operator.

Same thing in Sweden. Unfortunately many operators are not as forthcoming as AVINOR.

(Local environmental regulations can also restrict opening hours, of course, but I’m sure that is true in Norway as well.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In Czechia, there is no unattended IFR, and aerodromes with night VFR flights shall have ATC, AFIS or at least a RADIO providing information to known traffic. The aerodrome should also be specifically approved for night operations. During the daytime, however, you are free to take off or land at unattended aerodromes (unless specifically prohibited), and it usually means there will be no one there to collect your landing fee :-) Off-aerodrome landing is at the discretion of the landowner.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

As far as I learned, only Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, and maybe Belgium/Luxembourg (?) do require someone to be on-site, when performing a landing or take-off in Europe. Austria is working on a project to fly without a “Flugverkehrsleiter” though, but this new regulation comes still with a lot of silly restrictions and is not quite practical.

Even Germany counts some airfields, which can be used without a “Flugleiter”, but there is still an obligation that at least one “knowledgeable person” needs to be on-site, which can perform first aid and inform the rescue authorities, in case something happens and collects the landing fee and flight data. Such a person can be the owner of an airfield-restaurant or somebody living at the airfield. Also, an “ALIS” (Automatic Landing Information System) is required, in order to wave the “Flugleiterpflicht”. ALIS is an automatic voice, which tells the active runway, traffic pattern and wind after transmitting the first call on the frequency. But there is none uncontrolled German airfield with H24 service, as far as I know.

When it comes to real H24, only France, Scandinavian countries and Slovakia (if the airfield is equipped for NVFR) comes into my mind.

Last Edited by Frans at 09 Jun 16:14
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

and inform the rescue authorities, in case something happens and collects the landing fee and flight data

Ever heard about a flight plan? This is one of the main reason to file a flight plan, so that you are guarantied SAR.

I had to check about AVINOR airports outside opening hours. Flight plan is mandatory, as well as blind transmission on the radio. Always make a low approach to check if the runway is free (of animals and whatever). There are no charges outside opening hours, since there are no information, no ATC, no services of any kind. The no charges is really of no value to most pilots though, since people normally pay yearly charges for unlimited access on all AVINOR fields anyway.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message