Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which EASA reg is best

but I’m still not convinced moving a typical plane from EASA-reg to N is worth the hastle

Probably that is true today, in most normal cases.

for me airplane ownership is an overwhelming challenge, at least initially

If you are new to this, you don’t want to bite off more than you can chew. N-reg has many advantages but only for proactive owners.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My aircraft is on the German register but every contact I have had with the LBA has been very slow (although helpful and clear) and I am considering moving to my home state “G”.

My latest request was the LBA ask about the procedure to operate my Meridian at the certified MTOM of 2310 kg rather than the reduced operational MTOM of 1999 kg. Eight weeks later I received a response that basically says that I have to send the original ARC, CofA and noise certificates back to the LBA, de-register the aircraft and re-register as D-Fxxx as D-Exxx registrations are only applicable to sub 2T aircraft.

Given the time taken on other very simple requests can I be bothered to re-register in Germany? Or should I swap to the UK as apparently the transfer of airworthiness and registration is easy as the aircraft has a valid ARC ……….

But I see two reasons why G reg might not such a good idea:

a) I am sceptical that the transfer will be easy……..
b) I wonder if eventual re-sale will be as easy on the G register as D register?

Thoughts?

Lydd

PhilG wrote:

My latest request was the LBA ask about the procedure to operate my Meridian at the certified MTOM of 2310 kg rather than the reduced operational MTOM of 1999 kg.

OMG, why would you come up with an idea like this? The whole point is to be sub 2t, save on airport fees and don’t pay route charges while looking more at the 2310kg in real life. That’s what everybody is doing. A Meridian as D-E is worth a lot more than D-F. Hundreds of airplanes are operated like this.

If you want to know something from LBA, it’s best to call the person in charge (there is a phone number map on the web page, giving you the right person for your registration). Even better is to ask your shop or fellow pilots.

I’d not move from D- to G- unless there is a compelling reason. The moving process has risks because the UK CAA checks the paperwork quite thoroughly. It wasn’t entirely smooth in my case.

I might soon face the decision where to register a (planned) US imported aircraft. We are three potential co-buyers, from Luxembourg and Germany. Our preferred option is a D registration provided that turns out not too difficult and costly (depending on whether the aircraft is factory original or has some FAA STCs).
If that’s not possible or too cumbersome we’ll probably opt to leave it N-registered.
Although the Luxembourg CAA are helpful and nice people I would not recommend an LX registry as there is a regulation that limits the engine life to 12+6 years regardless of the hours (even if privately i.e. non-commercially operated). I’m not sure if such a regulation exists anywhere else in EASA land.
Anyway, I shall report our progress and experience in this forum as we go along.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Hello there,

alright, going to get my aircraft soon, and now it’s time to consider unde rwhich EASA country to register it. It is currently on the danish reg, and the “natural” way for me would be to move it on the Italian (I) reg. German one would also be possible and not really difficult. Any suggestions out there?

I recon for example that the Danish one mandates a CAMO in Denmark, or some odd 7-year checks of the engine.

Any help is appreciated

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

I bought my airplane on Romanian (YR) reg and originally planned to move to PH but have decided to keep it YR. The reason is the Romanian CAA is super responsive and helpful. It takes weeks for the Dutch CAA to respond to an email, whereas I usually get answers in minutes from Romania. Plus there’s the side benefit that people take and post pictures of my airplane everywhere I go!

EHRD, Netherlands

@lukepower post moved to existing thread on the topic.

@gildnn what did you find?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lukepower wrote:

I recon for example that the Danish one mandates a CAMO in Denmark, or some odd 7-year checks of the engine.

I don’t think they can mandate a Danish CAMO. Beside for private ops with an Owner-Declared Maintenance Programme you don’t even need a CAMO, and also not any 7-year engine checks.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Peter
24-Jan-22 11:06
@gildnn what did you find?
gildnn
10-Sep-17
I might soon face the decision where to register a (planned) US imported aircraft. We are three potential co-buyers, from Luxembourg and Germany. Our preferred option is a D registration provided that turns out not too difficult and costly (depending on whether the aircraft is factory original or has some FAA STCs)

Import of N-registered aircraft did not occur.
In the end it was a Commander from G to D.
Easy, because it was before Brexit.
Commander was sold, a D- registered Bonanza purchased. In a nutshell : D- registration is ok if you observe the administrative rules (like everywhere I guess). No CAMO required any longer. So far I cannot complain but I cannot really compare to other EASA countries either.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

I don’t think they can mandate a Danish CAMO. Beside for private ops with an Owner-Declared Maintenance Programme you don’t even need a CAMO, and also not any 7-year engine checks.

From a maintenance / airworthiness POV they can’t, but apparently they can mandate it if the owner has no ties to Denmark (no residence, no company). The CAMO would act as a legal instance between owner and Denmark – at least that’s what I was told.

Austria OE- registration is allowed for all EU citizens/companies. A legal designee to receive mail has to be provided (basically a friend with an address).

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message