Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which EASA registrations are most favorable for owning by non-EU citizen?

I have PM‘d you @garrys

The solution is that you own the plane and use another instance as operator (that only grants you access to the plane). The authority has no interest in the owning entity (plenty of russian jets on OE- register).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Does Austria allow non EU citizens to own an OE-reg plane? @snoopy should be able to find out. That would be the simplest thing, since your license (and presumably medical too) are held there.

There are many Germans on EuroGA and somebody should be able to look this up for Germany – if they want to help you.

If you want English communication, forget the CAAs of Spain, France, Italy Also forget Greece (HCAA) for various other reasons.

Finally, practically speaking, will the country in question ask to see your passport before they can register your ownership of the aircraft? I bet most won’t. For example I think PH-reg could be owned by anybody whatsoever, so long as there was a postal address in the Netherlands…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve read all the links and it’s still very confusing.
I’m actually happy to pay consultancy fee if anyone is familiar with procedures and willing to help.
The goal is to register an aircraft with the least amount of bureacracy and the most adequate authority (responsive, speaks english, answers calls and emails).

For example, I had my PPL in Spain initially and it was a nightmare. Since I moved it to Austria, it’s been a breeze. Hope to find similar option for aircraft registry.

Austria

resident of Greece

I can check with my AustroControl contacts.

Google translated Austria to Germany ;)
It should be Austria of course!

has the nationality of a member state of the European Union or of a state that is equivalent by an intergovernmental agreement and, if his place of residence is not in Germany and service is not guaranteed by international treaties with the contracting state of the place of residence or in any other way, has appointed an authorized recipient in Germany, or

always learning
LO__, Austria

Welcome to EuroGA, @GarryS

Posts moved to existing thread on same topic.

I think the ownership rules in Europe are all national (not Brussels- or EASA-driven). For example for a G-reg we have this (UK, European Economic Area and the British Commonwealth). But a G-reg is of limited interest to you anyway, due to non-UK EASA pilot papers being good for only 2 more years (currently…).

This search digs out some reading on a popular reg, the PH-reg, but I don’t know the current status there, and much of it is for “homebuilt” aircraft whose options are being curtailed anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To clarify, I’m not a resident in Austria, nor I have any companies in EU. My PPL is in Austria simply because they are the easiest ones to deal with.
I’m a russian citizen, resident of Greece, but I don’t live there.

Austria

GarryS wrote:

I’ve got in touch with Austrocontrol, they told me that in order to be an operator of the aircraft you need to be a EU citizen.

You don’t have to be a citizen, having a residence permit should suffice. Essentially, all they want is the operator to have a registered local address so that they could serve official documents when necessary. It’s the same in many other countries, too. If you don’t have a residence permit, you have two options, either set up a local company or non-profit entity and register it as the operator, or be a mere owner and subcontract the operator duties to someone else in the country of registration. My company provides similar services in Czechia.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Do you have the right to reside/work in Austria?

A Ltd. based in EU works.

I can try and help. PM me (will answer after 26th of June).

(2) A civil aircraft is to be entered in the aircraft register at the request of the holder if

the holder

a)

has the nationality of a member state of the European Union or of a state that is equivalent by an intergovernmental agreement and, if his place of residence is not in Germany and service is not guaranteed by international treaties with the contracting state of the place of residence or in any other way, has appointed an authorized recipient in Germany, or

Last Edited by Snoopy at 19 Jun 19:52
always learning
LO__, Austria

Maybe it’s country dependent? but you can still have it owned by company or trust, just like US does for N-regs? if you are NL resident it should always work…

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jun 18:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Hi there,
I’m trying to figure out a way to buy an aircraft while being non-EU citizen. I plan to fly in Europe and I have EASA PPL.
I’ve got in touch with Austrocontrol, they told me that in order to be an operator of the aircraft you need to be a EU citizen.

What other options do I have? I’ve heard Netherlands is good but I don’t know about citizenship requirements.

Thanks.

Austria
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message