Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which equipment to purchase after the flight-bag has been stolen.

Hello,

To continue the story and as my flight-bag has been stolen I need to buy new equipment.
It is maybe the good moment to reassess the equipment and maybe purchase something else

Although I am a Sunday flyer I do not mind paying more for equipment which will last and which I will truly appreciate over its lifetime as I will forget the price I paid over time but keep being happy with the quality material.

What I had:
-two david clark h10-13.4 headsets
-a GNS2000 GPS receiver for connection with the iPad
-a Yaesu FTA-550L handheld radio as back-up
-a Brightline B7 Flight bag

What I consider to change to:
-Bad Elf Pro GPS logger (which I would also use when hiking)
-a “active noice reduction” headset. I received a lot of positive feedback of the BOSE A20 (when you forget the price ) not sure yet if for this one…

What I consider to keep:
-a Yaesu FTA-550L handheld radio as back-up
-a Brightline B7 Flight bag which was very versatile and well-thought to organise my flying stuff
-a david clark h10-13.4 headset for my passenger

Any comments and remarks from the community is welcome….Otherwise I would not have posted this

Last Edited by jfw at 22 Jun 09:07
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

I was sceptical about the price/value of Bose A20 until I got one. Now I would not use anything else, from Cub to King Air

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I didn’t like the Bose at all. I am very happy with my Phonak, though.

You have to test the headsets if they suit your head and your ears anyway. Headset discussions can become religious in pilot communities :-)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I’m glad to be rid of the clamshell type headset. I use a clarity aloft headset and I am very happy with it.

EHTE, Netherlands

The in-ear headsets are hard to test though, especially when they are custom made for your ear. But I have never heard of anyone that didn’t like it. Maybe there is an element of self-selection, because in-ear is still rather new and non-standard. Those that buy it are already decided that this is what they want.

I also have an A20, but after wearing it for 3 hours I find it hurts a bit on the sides.

Oh headsets……..

I have both A20 and Clarity Aloft. I tend to use the Clarity more than the Bose, especially during summer season or in hot climates (most flights are 4-5hr duration). In fact, they the Clarity are almost worn out and I’m just pondering a new set or the Phonak.

Bose is good as a back-up. DC10 13.4 are excellent as a back-up, back-up.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

mh wrote:

Headset discussions can become religious in pilot communities :-)

I worship at the Church of Bose – other religions are available

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

There are various threads here on in-ear headsets e.g. here

They clearly can be very good and many people really like then, but all of them require a custom insert to be produced, which isn’t exactly cheap. The non-custom ones IME simply don’t work. I had a Lightspeed Mach 1 which was great until you touched it and the small movement would create an air gap and all the noise got in. I sold it on Ebay before it was too late and it was discontinued soon afterwards. The mike on it was excellent though! BTW, none of the in-ear headsets use ANR because they don’t need it; also it would be very hard to implement.

For me, the Bose A20 totally outclasses everything else, and I have done comparative tests in a headset test booth. It outperforms the Bose X substantially – so much I was thinking there is something wrong with the engine and kept looking at the speed, the fuel flow, etc… The only drawback, compared with the X, is that my ears get a bit more sweaty because it encloses them more than the X did. But I have done 7-8hr flights with the A20 without any issue whatever. Now I have 3 of them, plus an old X for occassional use.

As for other stuff to go into a flight bad, I would have

• a handheld radio which can do an ILS
  • a handheld GPS, preferably an old monochrome one which uses AA cells which don’t go flat for a year or more (I bought a 196, IIRC, on Ebay, after selling the Skymap 2)
  • a torch
  • some sort of backup phone (what kind of SIM card, is another matter….)
  • 3/32 allen screwdriver for removing avionics
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m pretty much with Peter here. Have tried the Clarity Aloft (but, of course, with the generic plugs) and didn’t like them one bit. They kept falling out. They may be great with the custom-moulded plugs, though. Bose is, IMHO, the way to go. Other than that, my flightbag has:

- iPad
- external Bluetooth GPS (a Dual, although if I had to buy it again I’d prob99 go for a Garmin)
- handheld radio with ILS capability (old-ish iCom)
- an old Garmin GPS as backup; it’s a 96 I bought ages ago, but has an endless battery life and will get you home
- Pulse-Oxymeter
- two power packs to provide extra juice for iPad, GPS and phone if needed
- two torches (one standard size and a very small one)
- if going for a night flight an extra LED lamp with a hook than can light up the cockpit on the ground.
- screwdriver

I would add an ADL1x0 to all of the above

LFPT, LFPN
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message