Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which ipad has the best GPS receiver?

Do you mean updating the location settings from “high accuracy” to “device only” in the parameters tab will actually revert by on its own to high accuracy and wifi scanning?

FWIW I just tested it on my S6 – the wifi scanning / collection is still off where I left it, and after clearing GPS data I got a fix in less than five seconds with a DOP oscillating between 1.3 and 1.7.

Good enough to find the closest BurgerKing.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 14 Aug 15:28

The S7 location service is defunct if you select “GPS only”. Android v6. I am not upgrading to v7 because it breaks some stuff. The S6 may not have this issue (from memory). My T705 tablet (android 4.4.2) definitely doesn’t have this issue.

The OP is looking at Ipads so I mentioned this in case it is a sign of things to come. The really curious thing is that even in an aircraft where there is obviously no wifi, the location is acquired immediately when wifi assistance is enabled, but without it it is never enabled It gets even more funny when the wifi is from the Sony camera which is moving with the plane That’s why I think some “data collection” is taking place. They want wifi enabled so they can report back. Of course this proposition is verifiable by packet monitoring on your wifi AP, for somebody who has time to waste… It will be encrypted (HTTPS) but it should still be obvious.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Defunct how? Have you tested it with say GPS Status? GoogleMaps certainly doesn’t force wifi reversion. It may well be chipset related, not a general conspiracy problem…

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 14 Aug 17:28

See here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message