Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which non-certified aircraft would you buy if there were no restrictions on European flight and parking?

On second thoughts I would keep the TB20, which is a really great plane to fly for both short and long trips, and great to get photos and movies out of, and would fit a bigger engine, say 300HP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On top of the above assumptions, if time and money and loading were no issue I would get a Radial Rocket. Because radial. The red/grey on the site was actually for sale last year, but above my budget (it started quite a bit higher than the last price on the site). Anyway, I need to gather a bunch of hours before I’d dare sit in such a plane, and that will probably happen in a good old PA28.

Last Edited by Arne at 03 Oct 16:17
ESMK, Sweden

Plane and Pilot had a nice article on adventure aircraft, and the last three are attractive. The 182 Kenai being an all rounder.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/2016-adventure-aircraft-seeking-a-different-kind-of-aviation/#.V_KlO3R4Wf0

http://www.katmai-kenai.com

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Based on what I have read about this, it would be very difficult to operate an F104 as a Exp type

The FAA looks for previous fast jet time.

In Europe, no chance whatever.

By far the most demanding task is to keep it airworthy. Being current in one is just a question of money. But, an airplane that requires afterburner to take off will purely be a show piece. The noise emissions are way off any civilian regulation.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Based on what I have read about this, it would be very difficult to operate an F104 as a Exp type

The FAA looks for previous fast jet time.

In Europe, no chance whatever.

It depends on who the operator is. If you can operate this one on the civil register, why not a Starfighter.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 Oct 16:23
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

In Europe, no chance whatever

http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/8222544

Why fight the system? Just get this:

FL250 (with FL280 as an option), 270kts, 1200nm range, pressurized comfort. All for a measly sum of money. Will cost you much, much less than any Cirrus, Evolution etc – or anything you can come up with. But we invent acrobatic and contortious calculations to justify bizarre hangups, like maintaining a twin rating or trying to justify a new plane financially. This is bang for buck just unbeatable no matter how you calculate.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 08 Oct 10:00

Isn’t the problem with the Aerostar (or any of the old piston twins) that they tend to spend much of the year grounded for unscheduled maintenance? And in the Aerostar’s case, doesn’t it have a tendency to kill you?

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

For me it should be the Ravin 500.

With a 100kt-brain any fast aircraft is going to kill you. If you are far enough behind the aircraft, perhaps you’ll arrive at the accident site only when the dust has settled. If that saves your skin though…

I haven’t flown the AEST but all Pilots who have flown her for some time like the aircraft. It reportedly handles nicely within the envelope, as has been tested for certification. That would be one of the main strong points against high performance experimenrals: Due to possible alterations to the original design, buid quality and choice of materials and processes you are uninevitable test pilot for your homebuilt aircraft even if you have built a well proven design. That is a task that you have to perform in a very professional manner or it will bite you. That is not for everyone, especially in high performance homebuilts.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
Sign in to add your message