Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which Plane to buy?

This thread prompted me to look at the older Malibus. Excellent range, mostly upgraded with things like Aspen glass. They really are becoming very good value. just above the top of the OPs price range but still worth thinking about. And you can always do a Jetprop conversion when the mood takes you.

1985 Malibu

EGTK Oxford

With that budget and requirements and experience you may consider a A36

EBST

Sure the PA46 piston is a capable aircraft, and great value so long as you don’t get one packed with non-complied-with ADs and all sorts of other issues (as a colleague did recently) but even the Lyco engined version (which is kind of “OK”) gets through cylinders like they were going out of fashion. I know several owners and none of them has yet got anywhere near TBO without major engine work. It is one of the hardest working piston installations in GA.

The turboprop version, Jetprop, 1999kg, is superb solution for serious European travel. But out of the OP’s price range, and you won’t get many good photos out through the windows If I was doing long trips all the time, I would buy the Jetprop tomorrow.

The TB20 BTW does 1300nm to zero fuel, FL100-140, ISA, etc. This is simply at peak EGT. I get this performance all the time. The only plane which exceeds this usefully is a particular Mooney model with big tanks which does about 2000nm (I know one ex-owner). One doesn’t normally plan to do 1000-1100nm flights (say 7+hrs) but if you have an accurate flow totaliser, it enables you to continue a flight in the face of an unexpected headwind, with confidence and without having to land for fuel which is almost always a totally unwanted hassle and expense – as well as possibly a significant risk and an added hassle because of you picked up ice on the way down you sure as hell are not going to be flying out of there the same day!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The turboprop version, Jetprop, 1999kg

Unfortunately it is not even 1999kg. The MTOW of the JetProp will be 1860kg, 1950kg or 1970kg depending on which model year the original airframe was.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sure the PA46 piston is a capable aircraft, and great value so long as you don’t get one packed with non-complied-with ADs and all sorts of other issues (as a colleague did recently) but even the Lyco engined version (which is kind of “OK”) gets through cylinders like they were going out of fashion. I know several owners and none of them has yet got anywhere near TBO without major engine work. It is one of the hardest working piston installations in GA.

It isn’t quite as bad as you suggest but you are right that they usually they don’t make TBO without some work being done.

EGTK Oxford

An aircraft that has 2000nm range would be very handy, but not, for me, for the reason stated.

It would mean I could be much more picky about where I refuelled, and I suspect most of the time that place would be Jersey…

Just an observation. You don’t seem to very picky, except no high wing (why?) Anyway, this tells me the right airceaft for you could be anything, and therefore the one with least problematic maintenance, and least problematic ownership would be the perfect one. This means Piper or Cessna of a type which are produced in large numbers, or a Cirrus.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thank you all for the very valuable feedback and advice, and can I also say what a very friendly and knowledgeable forum this is…….others would have gone onto thread drift and abuse by now.
First of all can I say that I’m not a millionaire, so I think Twins and Jet Props are out. Though the Malibu (Matrix – non pressurised) I think are stunning, your own personal airliner. I know that there are some great twin bargains out there, perhaps half the price of my budget, which would leave the excess for maintenance, but I would rather use that on a more modern airframe with up to date avionics.
Mooney Driver, thanks for the links, those Ovations would certainly fit the mission profile. After reading the review, it looks like the one that has flown round the world has had the engine up rated to 310HP from the original 280HP, don’t know how that would fit on the G reg, though G or N reg I think is a thread for once I have the right aircraft in mind. The fellow formite’s TB20 looks very nice.
Sebastian G and RobertL18C, I understand where you are coming from….”cheaper plane first” for first toe being dipped into the aircraft ownership world, but I think I would tire of the performance limitations very quickly. For example, a 2000 ish Piper Archer III with some half decent avionics is almost as expensive as an SR22, and with only 48 gal fuel, it doesn’t leave much when you take off IFR reserves.
I think those of you that fly the SR22 have put my mind at rest about the side stick. I totally agree that I need to go fly these various types….SR22, Saratoga, Mooney and TB20. Are any of these models more expensive to maintain (parts Annuals etc) or to insure? Can anyone suggest where I can hire these models to go and check them out?

LeSving, compared to what I fly at the moment, any of these are a step up, so no, I’m not too picky. Cirrus is a favourite at the moment but its the touring aspect that I am really looking forward to.

Thanks
Rob

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 09 Dec 12:57
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Rob, think Beech also. Its one of the best supported brands with regard to maintenance. I would buy for the same amount of money a B product over a C product anytime.
A Bonanza you can land everywhere and its a pleasure to fly, passengers love the space!
A TN’d Bonanza with Tip Tanks and TKS is for me the best buy in the non pressurized world!
When I take pilots that flew other brands, they all come out with a smile and are impressed!
If I had the resources I would TIP, TN and TKS it and no need for another plane for me, for sure,..
Power, speed handling and support….jeee….Textron should give some free tips now

Last Edited by Vref at 09 Dec 14:19
EBST

It isn’t quite as bad as you suggest but you are right that they usually they don’t make TBO without some work being done.

Were you not an owner of a piston PA46, Jason?

If so, the original owner may be interested to know more, because an old one can be purchased within his budget.

Can anyone suggest where I can hire these models to go and check them out?

If you can get yourself to EGKA, I’d happily take you up in my TB20GT. If not going on a trip, I fly once a week just for currency, locally.

Are any of these models more expensive to maintain (parts Annuals etc) or to insure?

I doubt you will find massive differences if you compare like for like e.g. when it comes to maintenance, same airframe condition. GA v. GA isn’t like say Audi v. Kia.

What makes a massive difference is if you keep taking it back to the main dealer, as many (most?) owners of the latest brands do. That will double your costs, easily, treble if N-reg.

A Bonanza you can land everywhere

You may want to re-think that one, after going to some places here in the UK

I’d say that, of the ~150kt retractables, a TB20, Commander, maybe the Bonanza, will do grass well, with the obvious proviso that the aircraft will get dirty and if you don’t keep the gear clean and lubed it will eventually fill up with crap and eventually give you trouble. The other rectactables don’t seem to do grass as well, due to various issues e.g. prop clearance.

But there is grass and there is grass. Give me 200k (less than a PT6 engine overhaul) and I will turn your 800m x 20m strip into a billiard ball table, mole drained, and reinforced with the covert plastic mesh, and good enough for a Citation. So “grass” alone doesn’t mean a lot. I never take feedback on some grass strip at face value.

I would never buy a single door aircraft, and that decision was made for ever after one of the two door locks in a PA28-181 door jammed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message