Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which Plane to buy?

…. SR22, Saratoga, Mooney and TB20. Are any of these models more expensive to maintain (parts Annuals etc) or to insure?

Yes, all of them :-)

One more thing about the “Side Stick” of the Cirrus. It’s way easier to understand why it’s not a problem if you think of it as a “Side Yoek”, becasue that’s what it really is – the left side of a yoke. Okay, the column is displaced to the left but you really use it, more or less with the left hand like a conventional yoke.

Thanks for the explanation of the Side stick Alsxis, I unerstand, which is how we fly with a conventional yoke, left hand on the side of the yoke, RH on throttle, radios etc….I’ve read that on the G2’s fhe rudder is connected to the ailerons…..is that correct but not on the G3’s is that correct? And does it make a difference?

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

It had never occurred to me that with a side stick you can’t easily swap hands on the stick, as you can with a yoke or conventional center stick. I guess if you’re left handed and flying IFR you learn to write ATC information in-flight with your right hand, or plan to be on autopilot while writing?

Rob,

yes, the G1 and the G2 have a bungee that connects ailerons and rudder and it’s part of the preflight to move the rudder and see that the airlerons are moving too. The bungee has to be replaced at certain intervals, but that’s no big deal. The G3 does NOT have the bungee. The wing was redesigned and has 1° more dihedral so Cirrus thought they don’t need it anymore.

If you fly G2 and G3 within 1 hour you will feel a slight difference, the G3 handles a bit nicer. But it really taes an expert to even feel it. I could hardly feel a difference.

In short: it’s not a criteria to take into account. Actually when I bought my 22 i decided that the G3 is not worth the + 50.000 Euros it will cost (or + € 100.000 if it has Garmin persepctive). At this moment the G2 is the best deal.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 09 Dec 18:27

Yes, in practice one will be on autopilot most of the time. And even if not, one will ask ATC to stand by briefly and then flip on the AP.

Also, ATC instructions are very rarely too long for memorizing. If a long instruction comes along (like an ATC clearance when picking up IFR), ATC will normally first ask if you are ready to copy.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Dec 18:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

… I was just going to say …except sometimes at a IFR departure the clearances are short enough to remember. For me it’s good practice and I never write down anything in flight. When I get a IFR clearance on the ground i use symbols but most times the plane is mot moving anyway!

All that side stick and writing stuff makes sense… you learn something every day!

Mh, you and I have similar taste in planes. I’d like to have a Bellanca Viking some day and I think they’d be a good fit for a certain type of European buyer who’d enjoy a plane with ‘character’… which in this case means inexpensive to buy ($40K and up buys a decent example needing modern avionics), being built like nice furniture, and needing some special care in ownership. I think the issue must be that 300 HP fuel consumption doesn’t work for that kind of buyer. Some Vikings do come with extended range tanks, up to 92 gallons. A nice one has a kind of class about it, something like a Jaguar car built in the same period. Like that kind of car, relatively large scale production numbers plus low market values have resulted in many of them degrading and now needing labor intensive restoration and upgrade work. They are cool though

My only advice is to not test fly in a Bonanza, because if you don’t buy one, you will know what you are missing.

BTW, having owned a Bonanza for over 35 years, they are no more expensive to maintain than any of the other retractable aircraft or the plastic airplanes.

KUZA, United States

I make the following few comments as the owner of a Cirrus SR22 for the last seven years and about 1400 hours operating time.

The only company in the UK who can do a major repair to a Cirrus are NOT a Cirrus service center but are by default the major repair center !

As far as I know, RGV is able to do this and are a (very good) Cirrus service centre.

As others have said above, the myth that the Cirrus is difficult or unpleasant to hand fly is just that: a myth. That said, only you can decide if you like the way any aircraft handles so I suggest you should go and fly the different candidate aircraft you are considering and decide for yourself.

The one unique feature that the Cirrus will offer you is, of course, the CAPS system.

I think that my final comment really applies to whichever aircraft you choose but, as a Cirrus owner myself, if you choose a Cirrus, I would STRONGLY recommend transition training from a Cirrus Standardised Instructor Program (CSIP) instructor. Joining the relevant owners and pilots association (in the case of Cirrus COPA) is also a really good idea.

If you would like to discuss the good and bad of owning and flying a Cirrus, please let me know.

Best of luck with your decision!

EGSC

Having manipulated the controls of an SR22TN for a short period of time from the RH seat I can attest to the beautiful handling…I would love one! Especially with TKS….but given the budget, speed and fuel burn spec of the OP I would say a Mooney Bravo or Ovation is an obvious choice!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message