Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which Plane to buy?

Mike Busch gives his answer to the question, in the US first-time buyer context :

LFOU, France

No. Europe is useless, not the airplane.

Well, so far they have not made a wall around Europe yet, so who wants to leave still can….

It should be said in all fairness that while Germany is one of the most bureaucratic and restrictive states, it is also one where flying itself is still quite nice, the airspace structure (especcially for VFR flying) rather easy to understand and work with and which still has a rather large airport and aerodrome list, despite the fact that there is a very vocal opposition against aviation. The same goes for Switzerland and to an extent for Austria. Yet, there are still countries here in Europe where VFR is much more restricted and basically CVFR all the way, where flight plans are needed for almost all flying, where airspaces overlap so that nobody really understands them anymore e.t.c. so we should count our blessings and keep it in perspective.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 Dec 22:05
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There’s a huge amount of utility to being able to get into short / rough fields if it get you near where you want to be. It’s also fun. For serious distance touring I think that requirement drops off slightly.

That being said the katmai seems to be able to turn its hand to everything reasonably well. Although I’d always worry about the nosewheel on unknown ground.

I think my ideal european tourer would be a staggerwing. Good short field, quite quick, stunning looks, retract and tailwheel. Fuel and oil burn, slightly less appealing.

STOLman, I saw your wonderful machine parked up at Guernsey (or it might have been Jersey) a couple of years back and was smitten so bad I took pictures!
Lovely aeroplane and it’s nice to know a bit more about it now, thanks for sharing the info.

Forever learning
EGTB

Jacko, the mains are 8.50 by 10 and the nose is 8.50 by 6.

I’ve never heard of Glenswinton (sorry). I’d love to drop in, I’ll give you a call on the number on your website.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

Look on Google Earth at 54 19 31N 004 26 29W and you will see the strip.

Nice field, and even nicer aeroplane. By tundra tires, I presume 8.50×6?

We’re 20 minutes north of you, so feel free to drop in any time you can be bothered with the GAR nonsense (oops, topic drift warning…)

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter,

Our all-weather main runway (www.glenswinton.co.uk) cost about £10k and is comfortable for any standard Cessna 1xx or 2xx, or similar. In the early days a visiting Seneca had brake failure and departed on a truck, since when we have extended by 50 m.

In practice, no one seems to use more than half of the strip, but when there’s a decent tailwind and I’m not paying attention I’m as guilty as anyone of landing well after the threshold. Bad habit caused by laziness and long runways.

We have a couple of other runways which cost nothing bar occasional rolling and mowing, but they’re not as easy as the main runway shown in the AFE guide.

Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

STOLman,

fascinating and cool! Very nice airplane.

The only thing I will disagree with is (of course) the anti parachute arguments:
The parachute will save you or your passengers in these situations:

- Engine failure at night, over mountains, over water, … and in all combinations of these
- Pilot incapacitation
- Midair collision
- Engine failure over any terrain that is not suitable for an emergency landing, like above cities
- Loss of Control in IMC (at least 15 cases with no casualties)
- Airframe failure

And in the case of a fire the parachute will get you to the ground sooner.

Yes; here (UK) the 28 day rule has to be run for 10 years and then you are “in”. For the 10 years you have to keep your head down.

But another option is to go for full Planning from day 1. It is very rare and everybody thinks it can’t be done. In the right location, it should be possible. The cost would be best part of 100k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d have bought a standard recent, maybe even new 182 or 206 if I could have bought the field next to mine, that would have given me 600m. As it is I have 400m with trees each end. The farmer who owns the field knows why I want it and said he would sell me the whole field (4hectares) for £250k!!! I bought a Katmai instead.

Peter, the problem with setting up a grass strip collectively is you create a change of use of field which requires planning permission which you’ll never get. However, if you own the field you can land your own plane on it, not more than 28 days a year in the UK. Here in the Isle of Man you can use your own field as often as you like so long as nobody complains. If the planners receive complaints they have the power to stop me. Then, if I have 5 years continuous use then the planners have a harder time to stop me. After 10 years I have an airport. I’m 5 years in.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man
192 Posts
Sign in to add your message