Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which UK (London area based) airfield to use on Friday

10 Posts

Hello everyone, I need to fly my Comanche back from the London Area (Shepherds bush near the Westfield shopping centre) to France LFHN (Close to Geneva). My partner in the plane is with the plane near Nottingham for it’s annual this week and will come and pick me up for the flight back. I have a meeting ending around 2.30PM on the Friday of this week. The plane flew here this morning (some very interesting enroute conditions today, since I wasn’t sure to get here on time I flew commercial) What airfield do you suggests he picks me up from (IFR), Northolt looks close but I have no idea on cost etc, Biggin Hill is about 1.25h away (I’ll get one of these motorbike taxis if I do need to go there but it will mean we will leave later) LFHN has no ILS or other instrument approach and also no lighting so we’ll need to be there before and shoot an ILS somewhere else if needed (Annecy or Chambery are closest, then scud run home) .
Thoughts any one? Appreciate the help any of the UK locals might be able to give me. (or any one else for that matter)
Thanks,
Wim

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Take train from Marylebone to Oxford Parkway and leave from Oxford. If you need IFR that is your best bet that side of London. Northolt will cost a fortune. Or if VFR Booker at High Wycombe is just up the M40. Or Denham etc.

EGTK Oxford

The only other IFR airport for London is Biggin Hill EGKB. ILS on 21 and you get vectors from Thames Radar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok thanks everyone will report back on what I ended up doing!

Wim

Northolt will not let you in. The other IFR options are Biggin, Cambridge and Oxford. For VFR airfield I would go for Elstree or High Wycombe, Elstree is nearer.
See you in 2 weeks.

Ben

Excellent thanks Ben, see you in Greece

Southend Airport is only 50 minutes from Liverpool St station.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Southend is actually pretty good, and might be closer than Oxford / Cambridge, as there are many frequent trains (From Liv Street), that arrive directly at the airport.
Cost is roughtly 30GBP / Landing IIRC. I use it as my diversion / out of hours airfield from North Weald.
The arrival into Southend might also be significantly easier as you would’t need to cross all the london airspace.

All the eastern airfields are a great idea except he is in West London so nowhere near Liverpool St.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

All the eastern airfields are a great idea except he is in West London so nowhere near Liverpool St

Shepherds Bush to Liverpool St – 30 minutes on the Central Line.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message