Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who wants an LAPL?

huv wrote:

I believe the UK and Norway will let pilots go to their family doctors to renew their LAPL medical

Had to look it up. There is a two year test program using family doctors. It started April 2015 and will last until April 2017. Personally I don’t get it though, a doctor is a doctor, and those family doctors also have to learn what they are supposed to check for the LAPL. Why not use the usual aviation doctors who have this (or similar for PPL etc) for years, and will continue to do so?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

just checked on the Swiss regs: Indeed all the stuff which was put there initially is gone. 2000 kgs, 3 pax maximum.

Initially it was advertized as 1200kg max, 3 pax,fixed gear and prop only. I knew that the latter had gone but had missed the 2000 kg limit.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Some family doctors may refuse to do aviation-related medicals. When I failed my EASA medical, although he had no problem with me driving a car, and did not consider notifying the DVLA, it took me weeks to get him to sign the NPPL form – more than half the time before I regained my unrestricted EASA medical.
PS From a gliding background, I got my PPL in 30 hours in 1965. If you did the course in less than 2?? months, the normal 40 hour limit was reduced. No radio, Jackeroo variant of Tiger Moth. £137 10/, including accommodation. £2 10/ was for Wiltshire Aero Club membership. (10/ was £0.50)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

I got my PPL in 30 hours in 1965. If you did the course in less than 2?? months, the normal 40 hour limit was reduced. No radio, Jackeroo variant of Tiger Moth. £137 10/, including accommodation.

I think that would have been about 1/3 the price of a nice new motorcycle a that time, pre-tax, no? My dad learned under similar circumstances, ex-military instructor for next to nothing, new 1972 plane owned by a friend who owed him a favor. It had radios… shock, horror. Fuel was his main expense. Plane is still flying in Australia.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Jun 22:47

Peter wrote:

ones who learnt the necessary extras from other pilots or (mostly I suspect) from the internet

Or other pilots (or should I say, mentors) on the Internet ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I apologise for my substandard logic there… everything on the internet is generated by humans so ultimately one is learning from humans

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I meant my comment to be a compliment to both the EuroGA crowd in general and your idea of mentoring mentioned in some thread long ended in particular. I am spending “way too much” time browsing the forum, reading old threads, getting ideas. Yes, I’d rather be flying (maybe not to LOWZ yet, but hopefully by next year I’ll dare to try) but the paperwork hasn’t come in yet…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Is there a current comparison somewhere between the EASA PPL and EASA LAPL medicals?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well up until April this year I believe you could just “declare yourself fit” in the UK for the last few years…??
Edit: Read about it on another forum, but as I have a EASA Class 2 didnt pay too much attention: Confirm?

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 04 Mar 10:37

Here they have replaced the Brevet Base with the A? Lapl which allows young pilots to fly solo from the age of 15 years. I believe some of the hours can eventually be used against a future PPL. It remains to be seen whether it will lead to more future ppl’s or whether new student pilots will still choose ULMs remains to be seen especially as the lapl medical is still carried out by an AME. I don’t know whether it’sa lighter touch for lapl pilots.

France
Sign in to add your message