Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who wants an LAPL?

Well up until April this year I believe you could just “declare yourself fit” in the UK for the last few years

That is different; that’s the medical self declaration (also called Pilot Medical Declaration / PMD). Search for NPPL and you will find some threads. This has been the main recent route which is supposedly going to end in April 2020.

I have no idea if the PMD was ever usable in the UK with the LAPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

Here they have replaced the Brevet Base with the A? Lapl which allows young pilots to fly solo from the age of 15 years. I believe some of the hours can eventually be used against a future PPL.

Really? I didnt know about this. Looks like I might have inadvertently given one of our BIA students some duff info and our Aeroclub website needs updating.
Do you have any links?

Regards, SD..

@skydriller, I’m searching frantically for the memo I received from the ffa but can’t find it at the moment. I went onto ffa-aero.fr and that gives the details for the brevet base under formation. I also googled brevet base to lapl and it takes you to several government sites such as www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr and legifrance.
On the first site I came across there was a form to convert the licence and then a progression path to carrying passengers ,full LAPL, night vfr etc.
One site quoted (UE) 1178/2011 Part FCL Rév 5 but I can’t see how that would help as it is dated 2018 and is EASA where this restricted LAPL is under dgac.
I’ll keep trying but for the last week or so storms have been causing chaos with our internet connections.
BTW, like you I had been giving duff advice to BIA students until I received the ffa memo which was about a week or two ago, now where on earth did I file it?

France

One of the neighbouring club have had good success training LAPLs. Their fleet is DA40s + 1 Eurostar UL, you get access to all with one license.

In my club, it’s not being pushed because people don’t know the difference with a PPL. I explain it during my theory lessons (Air Law + Ops), but I can’t make the decision for the students.
Of the people I fly with who already have a license, none would lose any privilege by downgrading to an LAPL. Most don’t know they can, they others don’t know how. In the end nobody bothers to, despite the potential savings.

ESMK, Sweden
Administrator

This is relevant.

Outside the UK, the UK issued LAPL can be used only to France and only on an Annex 1 aircraft – see here.

Administrator
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message