Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why are shares not common outside the UK?

Often I read adverts about available shares in the UK. These aircraft shares are affordable (3-5k GBP) and the monthly ans hourly cost are reasonable.

Why is this only common in the UK?

In the Netherlands we have a few groups, but they have many shareholders (20). The main advantage of having an own aircraft is availability. With 20 shareholders it feels like being a club member.

I'm not in the position to afford an aircraft myself, but would love to buy in a group in the near future.

I could start a group myself, but would prefer to buy an aircraft with people i know (at some extend) and with maximum 10 shares. Several friends of mine are airline pilots and fly SEP, but they don't have a few thousand euro to spend on an aircraft (because of their loans...).

Any thoughts? Anyone interested in the southern part of the Netherlands?

jkv
EHEH

everybody wants to fly a Da40..

Before I bought my Commander I was looking if there was a group interested in buying a seriuos tourer. Unfortunately everybody wants it cheap rather than have a great if platform that will allow you Ehrd to LdPl in 3:45.

Today I would be interested in joining a group with a Seneca V if available...

Fot the Commander 114 I am still interested in a few non equity partners..

Unfortunately everybody wants it cheap rather than have a great if platform that will allow you Ehrd to LdPl in 3:45.

I tried this 2002-2006.

What I learnt fairly soon was that there are very very few pilots who want serious touring capability and who do not already own their own plane.

I also came across a few potential customers who did appear to want serious capability but were in all cases either very low currency, or were playing "funny tricks". I could tell a few stories...

There is a market for renting out nice planes, or I should more accurately say there was, but the SR22 groups here in the UK have recently mostly collapsed. You could have gone to Le Touquet for some £300/hr. When times were good, plenty of people paid that rate.

There is also a market for large cheap syndicates, say 20-30 members. They are OK for weekday flying; weekends you can generally forget. Most of the customers are very low time pilots who want very cheap flying, and they get it because there are so many members. The plane is of course generally shagged.

In between you can form syndicates but you need to choose the members carefully.

Why it might be less common in some countries, I don't know. Perhaps GA pilot population density is below some critical mass?

Non-equity can be a problem in the UK, with the income tax situation (Benefit in Kind).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I still have a share in a Piper Archer 3 at www.piperpilots.nl in a group of 20. Actually, I am still their chairman as well :-) while I fly most of the hours in the SR22T (also shared with 5 others).

If you can fly during the week, sharing the plane with 20 other pilots is not a problem. And the aircraft is very well maintained and fully IFR equipped. It is true that most of the 20 pilots are low-time pilots, thus also flying only a few hours a year with it to nearby destinations (Texel). So, the aircraft is available to the 20% flying the aircraft more often.

EDLE, Netherlands

Fot the Commander 114 I am still interested in a few non equity partners..

I got my own.

I think groups are popular in Germany too. There are many 'Haltergemeinschaften' (bloody long word). Most about 4 to 8 people, bigger groups tend to be a non-commerical club (e.V.)

United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message