Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do I need a THIRD radio if I want GNS430w + GNS530w (dual GNS certification issue)

It really is a bit odd that single avionics masters are permitted. I’ve had an avionics master fail closed. It could just as well fail open…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Fair enough, I also have a KNS80 – a huge waste of panel space, but nobody makes a reasonably priced DME, so nothing to be done.

EGEO

It really is a bit odd that single avionics masters are permitted.

The TB solution is quite nice – if the switch or associated relay fail, you pull (or is that push) a CB that provides permanent power to the avionics busses.

EGEO

J woolard.

There are plenty of good reliable cheap second hand DME units to be had in the USA, as they are taking it our in favor of GPS.

Check out barnstormers.com and you will find a whole load of them, the King KN62a and KN63 are the best buys being the most reliable.

Try to get a unit with an 8130-3 but if you can’t any good Avionic shop can test the unit and issue an EASA form 1 for about £200.

AFAIR, the KN63 can’t be installed in an EASA reg for IFR use.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have a KN63 in my TB20, and it came like that as G-reg, 2002.

It is a remotely mounted DME and displays on the KDI572

So, at least, Socata got it EASA approved under their TC.

Might be valid for the GT only, quite possibly.

What is the process for getting an approval by citing a previous approval under a TC? In the FAA system, such a prior approval does lubricate matters somewhat, in that such an approval can be chucked in to support a 337 Field Approval. I used a Sandel 3500 STC for a C421C to support my 337 in the TB20.

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Aug 15:52
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have know idea were the idea that the KN63 can’t be used for IFR in EASAland comes from, perhaps you should email Diamond and tell them to stop fitting the KN63 as part of the standard factory fit in the DA42 ?

Last Edited by A_and_C at 27 Aug 17:56

Guys, I meant to say the KN64 , which is non-TSO.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The KN64 is a strange one… non TSO. Can’t be fitted even to a (certified) N-reg.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes the KN64 is a strange one ! The UK CAA permits it to be fitted and has approved a lot of Mods to do so.

It therefore follows that any EASA aircraft can use these historical Mods.

Sign in to add your message