Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do I need a THIRD radio if I want GNS430w + GNS530w (dual GNS certification issue)

I just have had a look into this, can do dual (non WAAS) GNS on most Socata aircraft under EASA control.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse,

if you could, can you check if the same is true for Mooney? The C- Model in specific? I was told it is, but am not sure now.

Also was told that you CAN in any case have two GNS´s if one is WAAS and the other is not. Because you can´t hook them up with each other.

Reason I am asking is that I consider swapping my KX155 for a 2nd non waas GNS 430 to satisfy the dual 8.33 requirement coming up for IFR in 2016 according to some folk.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I will investigate this for you, this will take some time however.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thanks Jesse!

Mooney Driver – there is an outfit in Grenchen that has done quite a few installs of dual GNS-430 on HB-reg Mooneys.

Thanks Shorrick. Talked to my local shop here and they say it is not a problem, not in any configuration here.

We have an STC for installing dual WAAS units covering most single and twin piston aircraft, but I’ve not come across an STC for a WAAS/non-WAAS combination. Once you have a dual WAAS installation, you could then use our LPV STC as well.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 14 Jun 07:53
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

We have an STC for dual WAAS units covering most single and twin piston aircraft

How did that come about, as a matter of interest?

EGKB Biggin Hill

This isn’t the LPV STC which PPL-IR actively supported and for which their positive and supportive input allowed funding to be provided by GSA. That one is for existing installations to get PRNAV and LPV capability added.
The STC under discussion here allows for initial installation of dual GNS-W units in most Part 23 piston types and just gives BRNav approval.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I would see some oppertunities for older approvals for both WAAS and NON WAAS units, before EASA got scared of dual GNS units. Depending on aircraft type, these approvals are stand alone approval and don’t contain the limitations, as on older approvals not to install dual GNS unit.

Going for dual WAAS with wigglyamp would require one GNS update to WAAS, and two STC’s (one for installation, other for advantages of LPV) which would add thousands. Don’t get me wrong, I think their work for this STC’s is excellent, I just don’t think it meets CD135 requirements and would eat a lot of budget.

Adding WAAS to the second unit, might save some cost on database subscription and would enable crossfill, at a huge cost.

It also depends on CD135’s defenition of light IFR. Full light IFR, as in aircraft not WX capable, though including approaches, or only EIR.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
Sign in to add your message