Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do people post identical posts on multiple forums?

Sure it may increase your readership but doesn't it just make each forum more bland? Surely posting on your favourite forum is the best idea? But I may be wrong.

EGTK Oxford

I have done this once when I responded to a Lessons Learned thread in another (lesser known) forum and I thought it a worthy topic for this forum.... But I agree there is little point in replicating a post from say PPrune...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Very few European (non-UK) pilots will be reading the other UK forums.

I've been reading them for best part of 10 years, seen them go downhill, and there is almost nobody non-UK on them.

Perhaps unsuprising given the much reduced level of politeness there

If you have a topic which you feel is worth giving a wider exposure, please do bring it here. We have ~ 500 signed up members, many more just browsing, ~ 8000 posts in just a few months. EuroGA has been a great success, exceeding all expectations, and clearly the formula here does work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I've been reading them for best part of 10 years, seen them go downhill, and there is almost nobody non-UK on them.

It's not been 10 years for me, maybe 2 or 3 as a occasional contributor, but I'd agree with that. For me this is the only forum that is focussed on aviation, has good and differing opinions, and is polite. I have enjoyed reading and contributing to this forum :-)

I have for some years been a member of a brand specific US forum. However, I joined EuroGA because too many general GA issues discussed over there don't apply here and vice versa.

One big difference I have noticed between here and there is that on this (mostly anyway) European board people spend much more time discussing how to deal with authorities and regulations than they do over there. Go figure.

One big difference I have noticed between here and there is that on this (mostly anyway) European board people spend much more time discussing how to deal with authorities and regulations than they do over there. Go figure

Yes it's very noticeable

One of the things which I keep in mind are the US forums. They set a good example. I keep half an eye on a couple of them. They manage to achieve a high level of tech/flying discussion, a good level of constructive dissent, and close to zero rudeness and trolling. Most are also old, though looking at some of the names it's clear they do tend to have their roots in Usenet - rec.aviation.* mainly which I used to read years ago and learnt a huge amount from. Unfortunately they are of little use for European GA, except fairly obscure avionics or N-reg certification issues.

One objective of EuroGA was to create a European forum which is like the US ones in useful info content, but for Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Understood but I have seen a number or verbatim posts on EuroGA, PPRUNE and Flyer.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Understood but I have seen a number or verbatim posts on EuroGA, PPRUNE and Flyer.

There are two or three regular posters on this forum who seem do that occasionally. Maybe their topics are so special that that don’t expect too many responses on each forum and try to collect as many opinions as possible that way?

EDDS - Stuttgart

I’ve done this occasionally if I had a very specific question and wasn’t sure which “audience” would give the best answer. So I just put the question out on, say Euroga and PuF (German) and I realize there’s a good number of readers who would see both.

If there is no “time pressure” to get an answer, I might do this with some delay – i.e. post it here first and if I’m not happy with the answer, I might post the exact same question elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with that?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

And then there is a substantial number of topics that appear here just after they are being discussed on PPL/IR. Basically the same experience, though I can see which justification is given for that (that it is a closed forum, i.e. saving the membership fee). ;-)

A similar issue led me to cancel my subscription to the German magazine “fliegermagazin”, when they started every month to publish articles from the French “Info pilote” that were just translated to german. May be useful for some, but for me it was the final decision maker to stop that subscription.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message