Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do schools teach into-wind engine checks regardless of wind speed?

Yaks or Sukhois don´t overheat at all in these situations. But I suspect a flight instructor on board teaching runups in wind direction only – stupid really. My idea in that airfield photo would be to go into the parking area and point the Yak slightly to the left side so the prop wind will go to the right into the green. So less turning action to get out of there onto the taxi way. So airfield politics my guess . . . . Vic
vic
EDME

I agree, and we should always do that. Line up for the power checks at an offset angle so one can check there is nobody behind.

However, one can do that while facing in the general direction of the exit (towards the runway), not facing in the opposite direction.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cant comment on the Cessna, but wrt the Yak, could it be that he was being considerate and displaying good airmanship by turning at an angle so as not to do a run-up with the potential for someone unseen close behind? I actually try to turn slightly off-axis if Im aware of someone possibly taxiing behind me when I do power checks.

Regards, SD..

I would have expected a Yak pilot to know what he/she is doing, which makes this positioning all the more surprising. Do their engines overheat so easily?

Administrator
Not a problem with Yaks, they got no nose wheel steering at all. You just operate the hand brake lever at the stick and do full right or left rudder and add power. No foot brakes either, just the lever at the stick. So differential braking at main wheels with “hand brake” will turn the plane around easily . Vic
vic
EDME

Yak 52 nose wheel steering tends to be tricky in situations like that!

Got this pic yesterday

Both, but the Yak especially, will struggle to turn around to get to the runway (to the bottom right of the pic).

Administrator

Malibuflyer wrote:

what would be the alternative of aligning azimuth with the direction of the taxiway?

S-turning to see ahead, or to position yourself into wind for the run-up, or to lookt in the direction of finals before entering the runway if the high wing blocks your view…all the time remaining close to the runway centerline.

Malibuflyer wrote:

tie down eyes that are installed on most (i.e. all) airports in a way that the wings need to be perpendicular to the parking centerline markings

This was especially painful at the referred airport since no tie-down eyes were available in the gusty 30kt wind, and into-wind parking was not allowed: ie you were supposed to park with your wings perpendicular to the parking centerline, but where is such requirement spelled out?

Last Edited by Antonio at 16 Mar 22:21
Antonio
LESB, Spain

positioning the aircraft so that it wouldn’t crash into anything ahead if the brakes failed, or blast anyone behind

I think the manifestations I have seen fail on both of the above objectives, totally. They would crash into the one in front, and they do blast the one behind so that his controls smash into the stops

Administrator

I can see a lot of sense in the above.

I was once chatting to a chap with a mkXVI spit and a yak9 who said how important it was for him to be relatively quick from start up to getting away because of the overheating issue. Seems to tie in with what you are saying.

86 Posts
Sign in to add your message