Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do we still need to check-in for a civil commercial flight?

I agree with you Vladimir, it seems to be a useless procedure. I also agree this is entirely irrelevant for aircraft loading considerations. The likelihood of me showing up (or changing the ticket last minute due to illness or whatever) doesn’t change at all once I’ve clicked the “check-in” button on the smartphone and received the Passbook barcode ticket on the phone.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here yet is that upon check-in (be it “for real” at the counter as a sign-post or within the app as an additional tick box) for each flight you need to acknowledge that you’ve read and understood the limitations of what you can take onboard (in terms of dangerous goods etc.). I don’t know if this is a legal requirement. And surely there must be other ways to ensure this than via the obsolete check-in procedure.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

The only issue with “gate counting” is overbooking – also a reason to close the flight in advance and figure out which of the yelling businessmen in dapper suits that threaten to sue you can get on and / or be upgraded.

@Patrick – have you actually ever loaded an airplane?

It also keeps overbooking issues away from airside.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

It also keeps overbooking issues away from airside.

How?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

You cannot check in with the nice ladies in Zurich for a Swiss flight any more.

Good to know that next time I have to travel from Zürich! At the German airports you can still check in face-to-face…

EDDS - Stuttgart

They don’t issue more boarding passes than there are seats.

EGTK Oxford

To explain the relevance to loading – cargo is palletized / ULD loaded. Very little is done as bulk. So if you have say 800kg of underload you can put your 800kg cargo pallet on. But if a passenger shows up and your underload drops to 700kg you have to leave the whole pallet / ULD behind as you cannot start undoing the nets and splitting the consignment and redoing the cargo manifest then and there.

JasonC wrote:

They don’t issue more boarding passes than there are seats.

How does check-in help with that? If you have 100 seats and sold 110 tickets and 110 people want to check in how is that different from 110 people wanting to board the plane with their tickets? You still have 10 people you have to deal with, one way or another, and the document they hold – ticket or boarding pass – is irrelevant.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Please read what I wrote earlier. The point is where you deal with it and how you deal with bags.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message