Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why has the SR22 been such a success?

Fuji_Abound,

that’s really all there is to say about the Cirrus, very good writeup …

Btw: what does your user name mean?

Btw: what does your user name mean?

Thank you for you rkind comment – and I spent many a year flying and learning aeros in a FA180 of that name.

the market these days can support even less than was once the case.

That is of course the real crux. If we’re lucky, we’ll live to see the day when Euro Gov’t realises G/A can be a worthwhile business. Even then, those strongest today will be best placed to jump forward tomorrow.

I would do everything I could to remain the best at what I currently do.

If they had lived up to that, they would still be producing two-stroke powered trikes.

Last Edited by at 13 Oct 21:53
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

There are distinct markets for these different planes, but each one is limited in possible penetration due to the various restrictions.

The SR22 would have been at most 1/10 or even 1/100th of its success had it been VFR-only.

VFR-only planes have to be sold at much lower prices – of the order of 1/5.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter – I am not sure that is entirely so.

I was thinking earlier I recall going to the first “show” when the 20 was displayed in the good old days when the PFA did such things (it was the PFA wasnt it?).

The aircraft was surrounded by pilots and that was the aircraft everyone had come to see and talk about. I am pretty certain that the early 20 was not IFR certified, albeit doubtless a certified version was already in the pipeline.

However, in reality in those days the industry was entitely driven by the US; I think its correct to say the European manufacturers had just about all died a death by then.

Of course as you know having gained IFR certification for an airframe there really isnt much cost differential whether it has an IFR fit or not, so of course you probably would offer only IFR certified aircraft (as I believe Cirrus now do).

However I do agree you are never going to sell a high performance SEP in volume unless it is IFR certified – well certainly not in the States at any rate, and the European market is not large enough. You will sell a different sort of aircraft in good volume and largely VFR only if it fits a niche – for example the Husky has continued to be a long serving success story, and is offered in both versions with a great many VFR only being sold.

Yes; I remember that time. I was looking for a plane. The UK Cirrus dealer, when asked about a DME and ADF for the SR20 (the 22 was not out yet) said “don’t need those; GPS is much better” and turned around to talk to another customer. So somebody else got the 200k

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was just reading the write up on the Tecnam 2010. Given the write up is for the far more challenging us market the reviewer writes in glowing terms and while its not a cirrus, it doesnt sound far behind.

NIL: Cirrus has been succesful thanks to it’s EXCELENT MARKETING, period.

They kicked Lancair/Columbia’s @ss despite that the LC300 out performs the Cirrus SR22 in just about every respect.

Presonally, I hate to think what the state of the GA Market would be like sans Cirrus today …

KUDOS to Cirrus Inc for producing a product that has brought more NEW pilots & $$$$ to GA then the rest of the industry COMBINED !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I wonder what will happen when Cirrus comes out with a high performance (300+) diesel engine…

If they had lived up to that, they would

I was distinguishing between the certified and non certified categories.

Sign in to add your message