Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is General Aviation declining?

I think that what M LeSving is alluding to is that Norway is a country with very low population density and some very remote airfields. In other words, lots of Helgolands or Scillies.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

I think that what M LeSving is alluding to is that Norway is a country with very low population density and some very remote airfields. In other words, lots of Helgolands or Scillies.

Yes, I realise that, but I don’t get the connection with the EASA regulations. Obviously there is nothing to prevent a maintenance company from repairing aircraft just about anywhere.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Obviously there is nothing to prevent a maintenance company from repairing aircraft just about anywhere.

Except the cost.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Except the cost.

Don’t evade the issue! How would that by caused by EASA regulations?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 31 Mar 12:04

Airborne_Again wrote:

How would that by caused by EASA regulations?

‘Cause there’s alot of overhead associated with an EASA Maintenance Organisation – completely different from the FAA “personal” A&P & Inspection Authorization set-up.

Even still, my travel expenses end up doubling the cost of routine Inspections and maintenance when done afar from FBO.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Cause there’s alot of overhead associated with an EASA Maintenance Organisation – completely different from the FAA “personal” A&P & Inspection Authorization set-up.

Yes, of course the cost of maintenance in general is higher because of the overhead, but I still don’t get why the extra costs associated with an AOG at some unsuitable place would be higher under the EASA regime compared to the FAA regime.

Even with a FAA-style personal authorisation, the A&P still has to travel, doesn’t he? And if the repairs/inspections require a proper shop (which I guess was the case for the Helgoland hot start) you still need to bring (part of) the aircraft to it.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 31 Mar 15:12

This is a bit like the FAA 2-yearly altimeter check. It needs an FAA Part 145 company. You can get it done if you fly there for say £120 or you pay say £500 if they travel to you (2hrs’ driving).

Getting anybody up to say Helgoland would be an expensive hassle, hotel rooms etc, both under freelance or Part M, but probably 2x to 3x more under Part M because in the latter case the guy will be billed out at the company rate, whereas with a freelancer you just give him a wad of Deutschemarks

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@ LeSving

I read in another thread someone toasted the TP engine at Helgoland? The cost of fixing it there vs fixing it at the maintenance shop was 10 times more.

not correct – the statement by Boscomantico was

installing and uninstalling the turbine alone cost in the order of 30k. The total bill came to about ten times that…

Total bill included transport to the Belgian(?) Allison- RR facility for repair/overhaul of the engine and transport back to Helgoland. The repair could not be made on Helgoland …

Last Edited by nobbi at 31 Mar 15:47
EDxx, Germany

Total bill included transport to the Belgian(?) Allison- RR facility for repair/overhaul of the engine and transport back to Helgoland. The repair could not be made on Helgoland

As I wrote in that thread, I don’t believe it, because for 300k € you could dismantle the plane, gold plate every part of it in 24ct gold, and reassemble it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IIRC the average PT6 overhaul was about $250.000.- in 2007 (a tosted one a little bit more …)
What’s the price of a new Allison turbine?

Last Edited by nobbi at 31 Mar 17:19
EDxx, Germany
Sign in to add your message