Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is General Aviation declining?

FWIW my local flight club / school (aeroclub) is talking of buying a Tecnam for training, gkass and all. At least one commercial outfit I know directly got rid of their c152’s and replaced them with Tecnams. I think they are on their second batch and couldn’t be happier, they even have that twin.

I can understand the argument for (and the appeal of) a more modern cockpit…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

People who can and will afford a 50k Warrior or a 50-100k vintage IFR tourer are of a much larger number. But many of them get dissuaded by the snobbery and bad mouthing of such airframes by people who appear to think that GA should be a gentleman’s club for the wealthy.

If there is one thing I have not encountered in GA, it’s snobbery.

I’m sure it exists but it’s isolated and I don’t think it’s common enough to be a problem. I’ve run into some absurdly wealthy people and they’ve always thought my aircraft which is positively ancient and worth less than £20k (they could probably buy one like it with the loose change that fell between the sofa cushions) is pretty awesome.

Andreas IOM

Got no problem with clubs & schools “down-sizing” to 80hp, 2 place aircraft, micro-light or not !

After all, a plane is a plane !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Bathman wrote:

Bathman 18-Nov-15 10:20 #70
The reason there is a decline is there is no profit in it.

And the bizarre often customer-hostile practises and procedures put in place by several otherwise really good airfields seem to be an almost deliberate attempt to be unprofitable!

Andreas IOM

If there is one thing I have not encountered in GA, it’s snobbery.

That is my experience, too. I have also never experienced envy.

Whilst my post may not be directly relevant to, or contributing to a decline in GA, indeed it may equally be relevant in the why do people read and not post on EuroGA…

…I confess to, on occasion, getting the impression that some aircraft owners are not owners because of a love of flight. I’m generalising, I say again generalising, but it often seems talk of this gadget, or that gadget, or the theory of the perfect approach using the proper method or any number of peripheral (whilst important, relevant and interesting) aviation topics are why people own aircraft. For most the purpose of aircraft ownership is to facilitate the many pleasures and freedoms of flight, It’s a tool that facilitates a low level bimble, a burger run, or flying abroad. Importantly it does that for the sheer pleasure of flight for the journey itself and, of course, the reward.

It seems to me that for some aircraft ownership in itself is the goal, the kick comes from the ownership rather than the flying. I can’t help but think that if it wasn’t for the ability for small talk and boasting rights of specific flights some owners would mirror the yacht owners who never take their yachts to sea, preferring to stay moored with G&T in hand mixing with the like minded moored alongside.

I wouldn’t label anyone here as such, but every now and again I find myself thinking it’s not the flying these guys like. Or more accurately it’s the operating of the machine that ticks the box, more than the thrill of being airborne.

Agree with alioth and flyer59, if anything there may be reverse snobbery with alioth’s Auster (respect) being the alpha aircraft on most ramps.

A well utilised Warrior commands more respect than many hangar queens or near zombie ramp mummies.

If Europe were a bit more business friendly we should be leading the world in aerodynamically efficient, very reliable, modern IFR aircraft for reasonable value. The Aquila A211GX in this month’s Pilot boasts 130 KTAS using a Rotax 912S. No reason why this shouldn’t be practical light IFR transport, and built to reasonable scale would cost new similar to a mid range sports car.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

That is my experience, too. I have also never experienced envy

It depends on how much of a low profile you show and where you hang out.

If you turn up in a flash car, etc, at some place where the scene is somewhat “basic” then you may be branded as a poser. Of course it depends on various factors… including how you come across yourself. I personally don’t care but some people I have seen around are going to get themselves a certain reputation.

Of course if you drive up in a Ferrari outside a Cirrus dealer, nobody will notice

Another thing is how much time you spend at the airfield. If you just turn up and fly, you won’t care what some bar propper says about you. But if you hang out there 24/7 then you have to fit in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems to me that for some aircraft ownership in itself is the goal, the kick comes from the ownership rather than the flying.

It’s not as much a conscious thing, I thing, but more of a trap in which you can end if you don’t fly often enough and if you always base your decision on other people and outside factors. Ff you don’t really PLAN flights, discipline and yourself and make yourself free from 1000 reasons why you shouldn’t go … you will end the way you describe, polishing your airplane every week while the engine keeps rusting.

I found out that I have to fly all by mself a lot if I really want to fly enough, especially longer distances. Either I make myself independent of all the friends who say “that’s a great idea” (but never have time) or the kids who will rather play soccer, go swimming, birthday party, cinema (you name it)… or you will stay home. Then there’s the weather: If you think about it too much and want to be 100% sure the weather will be great – you will stay home. There’s really only so many flights with blue skies across Europe.

If you don’t accept the risk you will maybe have to divert, land or fly back (VFR) or fly in IMC or land land in high winds (IFR), … you will always stay home. You have to be a BIT adventurous at least to fly a lot and even if you were at some point … it can change with age, work pressure or other outside factors. …

I occasionally have to do flights through bad weather, alone, and independent of all other people. For this winter I have set myself the goal to do an IFR flight once a month and hand fly every approach.

Flyer59, what I am saying is that for many the wonder of being airborne is not the objective, it’s the ownership.

I read on here about this airway and that airway with a specific approach to limits and sometimes think; ’ the poor b’stds are missing out on so much’.

It’s very much each to their own and rightly so, but to only fly long distance across Europe has me wondering what the real attraction is?
I’m not convinced it’s flight.

Sign in to add your message