Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why no attractive avionics upgrade deals?

I would also prefer to GNS430W/530W then GTN650/750. Its really good enough. This would also be very useful go ahead. I think in Avionics this surely be counted upon.

Achima, you will love the DFC90. The IFD currently looks better than the 650 and I was originally going for it. However Garmin are introducing some very nice stuff in the next software round. Advanced FMS functionality I am told. The 650 also exists....

And to be clear I think Avidyne make good products and are super helpful. I just think Garmin seem to have won the battle for new aircraft fit outs.

EGTK Oxford

For example they have the excellent GFC700 autopilot but don't bother offering it as a retro fit. Avidyne spent a long time working on its DFC90 which is very comparable and now have a good list of STCs. I'm getting one in June under an EASA STC.

The stupid thing is that Honeywell had the KFC225 which in terms of accurate aircraft control is as good as anything anybody has ever made for GA. And it has ARINC429 roll steering, so you have everything which your GPS can do.

Honeywell screwed up the servos, but they could fix them in the time it takes to change about 5 component values in their parts list (so, maybe 5 months, at Honeywell?).

Honeywell also seemingly left a few bugs in the software (what I believe is the ultimate driver behind the servo burnouts) but they could fix that too.

Then they would have been 10 years ahead of everybody else!

Instead what we have is Garmin who are running a nice restrictive practice, we have "jam tomorrow" Avidyne, we have Aspen whose stuff runs so hot you could make coffee on it, and we have Aspen "partnering" with Honeywell to fix the KSN770 and other stuff (I guess Aspen brought a soldering with them to Olathe, to show the 2 still remaining Honeywell engineers how to do electronics).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wouldn't give up hope on Avidyne. Garmin are just too arrogant and it will bite them. For example they have the excellent GFC700 autopilot but don't bother offering it as a retro fit. Avidyne spent a long time working on its DFC90 which is very comparable and now have a good list of STCs. I'm getting one in June under an EASA STC.

And unless our legislator makes me kick out my perfectly good KX-155A for something 8.33kHz capable before the end of this year, I am looking at the IFD440. Way more capable than the GNS/GTN, a real FMS.

There is an Avidyne support forum and they are very responsive and open.

I like Avidyne stuff but we all know Garmin have won.

EGTK Oxford

I think Garmin knows that they don't have to do anything. The need for new nav/coms in Europe will ensure that used panel mounted gps equipment hold its value. And to make sure they're not missing out, they also offer the GNC255A in addition, smoothly prices at ca 50% of a new GTN 650.

However this does also drive customers away from Garmin products to compeditors

They don't have any competitors - practically speaking...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I suppose Achimha's point is that by Garmin buying back stuff, they effectively get to kill the second hand market. So anybody who would have bought second hand is now forced to buy new. I suppose that's very true.

However this does also drive customers away from Garmin products to compeditors. If there are no second hand Garmin products, then those who could only afford the second hand prices will but looking for another alternative, which might end up giving a compeditor an opening into the market.

Garmin have to weight one up against the other.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Not to belabor the point on used avionics pricing, many take the strategy that they will wait until the price comes down. The prices usually do come down, but only after the equipment is obsolete. As long as the equipment is not obsolete, it will find a price point approximately half of what new costs and will rarely rise above dealer cost of new equipment.

KUZA, United States

I think Garmin doesn't need to get involved with the used avionics - there is such an active used market anyway. And as NYCYankee points out, the used Garmin stuff holds up well - well it did when I upgraded to the GTN-650s. 430Ws are still the best you can put in many aircraft so the demand is very strong.

And I agree with his other point as well - other than for certification or cost reasons - a 650 beats a 430 every time.

EGTK Oxford
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message