Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why the obsession with TBM's and PC12's, when a Mustang is much cheaper?

I think this video answers the question very well:

EKRK, Denmark

Other big reasons are insurance and hour requirements.

• For someone without an ATPL, you need AT LEAST 500 hours for a C510 type rating versus 200 for the TBM (see here local copy ), and even then you need to be supervised for 50 hours
  • I suspect insurance is significantly higher for a C510?
We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

TBM type rating in Europe is organized by Daher (the manufacturer). They require a PPL/IR with 500h total time plus HPA (high performance aircraft) endorsement as well as RVSM and optionally MNPS. European insurers require the type rating usually as the only condition. Under FAA, there is no type rating for TBMs so the insurance companies have different requirements.

When I did this flight in 2010, the Euro TBM rating was called a “class rating”, not a “type rating”. It amounted to the same thing, I think. Has this changed?

That writeup sold several TBMs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Charlie wrote:

I suspect insurance is significantly higher for a C510?

Not at all. I know it got cheaper (even after adjusting for hull value – which may often be lower in the C510).

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

When I did this flight in 2010, the Euro TBM rating was called a “class rating”, not a “type rating”. It amounted to the same thing, I think. Has this changed?

No, it’s still a class rating but there is only one aircraft in the class. Therefore it’s the equivalent of a type rating. The rating is called “TBM SET” in the license. It enables you to fly any TBM ever built.

Here’s an article I did on the TBM700C2 in 2006. I also did all the photos.

(English version download link)

http://www.airwork.biz/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/tbm700_e1.pdf

JasonC wrote:

Not at all. I know it got cheaper (even after adjusting for hull value – which may often be lower in the C510).

What, roughly, are you talking about? £10k / £20k / £30k?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Charlie wrote:

What, roughly, are you talking about? £10k / £20k / £30k?

Below $10k

EGTK Oxford

For hull value, I would be astonished to see anybody getting it for less than 1% per year.

Sign in to add your message