Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why the obsession with TBM's and PC12's, when a Mustang is much cheaper?

achimha wrote:

For hull value, I would be astonished to see anybody getting it for less than 1% per year.

Our business pays less than a fifth of that for hull insurance on a jet

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Romain wrote:

Neil wrote:

Here’s another question. Why buy a PC12 when for the same money you can get a KingAir 200

Operating cost

Yes, but that’s about the only reason. Flying IFR the second engine is invaluable.

I’m reading the C510 AFM. Grass operation is allowed.
(Yet landing performance might be difficult to assess, and FOD might cost a lot.)
Another advantage of the C510 compared to other aeroplane is the Cessna maintenance contract. For a fixed cost per hour, your aircraft is kept as good as new.
Is there anything comparable with other plane makers?

Piotr_Szut wrote:

For a fixed cost per hour, your aircraft is kept as good as new.
Is there anything comparable with other plane makers?

Not sure about airframes, but there is a similar arrangement for PT6 engines.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Piotr_Szut wrote:

Good luck with that.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Piotr_Szut wrote:

Good luck with that.

Never saw this in the AFM…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

The phrased used is “sod runway” (sup 6 to the AFM). “Dirt runway” (sup 13 to the AFM) is also allowed.
I could not find any definition of those terms in the AFM. Is “sod runway” is equivalent to “grass runway”?
Has anyone ever landed with a Cessna Mustang on a sod or dirt runway?
Will the propart and protech programs remain valid if the aeroplane is operated on such runways?

Piotr_Szut wrote:

Has anyone ever landed with a Cessna Mustang on a sod or dirt runway?
Will the propart and protech programs remain valid if the aeroplane is operated on such runways?

It is done in Australia which I gather is why the change was made. The programs will cover use in line with the AFM but don’t cover paint, corrosion or engine FOD.

EGTK Oxford

Ultranomad wrote:

Not sure about airframes, but there is a similar arrangement for PT6 engines.

There is also a parts programme for the King Air.

If you have the engine programme from P&W and the Parts from Textron then youonly have a variable cost for the maintenance labour. Costs are in practice very predictable.
For the Citation you can get Engine plan, a parts plan (Proparts) and a labour plan too (Protech)
The labour plan is sometimes worthwhile, sometimes not, it depends where you are maintaining the aircraft. Although they are mostly factory owned there are varying rates for labour in different countries. If you are in a lower labour cost service centre it does not make sense to have the labour plan.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I wonder if anyone runs these planes on pure Part 91? We did a bit of that here and other places, and the general view is that almost nobody does it because being on a programme maintains the aircraft value a lot better.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message