Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wiener Neustadt LOAN

Hello,

I have to transport an airplane to Wiener Neustadt from Poland, so I have to fly from north direction. Have someone an idea, what would be the best route? Is it possible to VFR overfly Wien Schwechat airport, or fly between CTR and MCTR Tull via Kloserneuburg, or I need to fly around every controlled airspace from east?

Always happy landings
Łukasz Szymaniak

normally, LOWW tower is not allowing VFR transits, entering Wiena TMA is not welcomed as well. just stay on Wien Info and fly west of CTR boundary. Hoever, it´s not flat and there are forests there…if you go to east of Poland, avoid CTR on east – no forest there

LKKU, LKTB

@Michal can’t you do the VFR transit route along the Danube anymore?

I have done the Danube transit last year but I am not sure about the area south of LOWW, my feeling is that this area entry is not welcome by ATC. They are somehow OK with entry KLOSTERNEUBURG and let you go till FREUDENAU but getting beyond FREUDENAU was answered with a bit of surprise and “stand by for coordination” . But for route north from LOAN I would avoid CTR for sure…..is it an extra minute or two of flight time and much less stress.

LKKU, LKTB

@Michal, thanks, it’s been a few years since I last flew that and at the time I landed at LOWW, so no further transit required.

looking back to my old log book – I had done CTR LOWW transition on April 1, 2001 – there was a published VFR transit just east of “mountain” range between LOWW and Neusiedler See, under neath arriving traffic. I just remember ATC being very pedant on altitude ;-). One of the waypoints was called Petronell. But it´s not published any more. in 2009 I get a clearance via TMA north-south heading at FL 65 but since that every request was denied…until last year at 2 200 ft following the Danube river. But I carefully selected Saturday afternoon to minimize chance of denial …

LKKU, LKTB

Thanks a lot.

Finally I flew almost direct via VFR sectors east and south at 1500ft AMSL so pretty low. That is not allowed for planning but it is possible to coordinate via Wien Information with TWR. It was very nice transit.

Always happy landings
Łukasz Szymaniak

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message