Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windows 10 eating my OS C??

Lucius wrote:

An OS is the intersection between cloud infrastructure and cloud services.

That must be the strangest definition of the term “Operating System” I’ve ever heard!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s what too much M$ (and other commercial peptalk) can do to the human brain.

Last Edited by at 03 Nov 21:49
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Flyer59 wrote:

To me that’s only opinions, in a sea of opinions … If you Google for it

Key word Google I got my ChromeBook 1 1/2 year ago. Can’t see me going back to PC or ever (or Mac), not for everyday tasks. Chrome OS = Linux + Chrome = all you need. The Surface Pro (3?), a tablet with keyboard kind of thing, also is surprisingly impressive, essentially i thin PC/Tablet running Windows 10.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Well, it depends on your need to write text, and to do more nontrivial tasks.

My trip 2 days ago to Pamplona was the 2nd or 3rd one on which I didn’t bring my 10" laptop – the amazingly fast Lenovo X230 I7, to see how much I could do. I brought the Samsung T705 tablet, plus of course the S6 phone.

I found the tablet only slightly less useless for writing anything than the phone. It makes a great browser, and is OK for short messages. But for writing a nice email only the laptop does the job. Also any image editing is extremely painful on the tablet. Well, I knew that… but the laptop weighs about 1.5kg.

As they say, YMMV…

The trend in modern society is towards instant messaging, and emails are treated as such too. Education started to go down the plughole years ago so we see the results. Corporate life is focused on short term performance. For most people, life is too short to write more than a few lines.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The trend in modern society is towards instant messaging, and emails are treated as such too. Education started to go down the plughole years ago so we see the results. Corporate life is focused on short term performance. For most people, life is too short to write more than a few lines.

A useful rule nowadays is not to split your emails into several paragraphs, as some individuals tend to stop reading at the very first paragraph break, assuming the rest to be merely a signature.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Getting back on topic…

The stupid Windows 10 service pack used to be marked as ‘optional’ which meant you either had to click the button to ‘register your interest’ or manually tick KB 3035583.

In a fairly outrageous move, Microsoft then tagged this KB as ‘important’, not ‘optional’ which meant everyone’s machines downloaded it unless you had specifically opted out of it.

It’s all very shabby in my opinion…

All that said, if a single 3GB service pack has caused the original poster’s machine to run out of space, then they were close to having a problem anyway and need to sort out the underlying issue.

Can I recommend running TreeSize Free on the machine. It’ll reveal where all the disk space is being eaten.

Or the completely free WinDirStat with its nice graphic display of disk usage – very easy to fish big files.

LRSV, Romania

A useful rule nowadays is not to split your emails into several paragraphs, as some individuals tend to stop reading at the very first paragraph break, assuming the rest to be merely a signature.

All that said, if a single 3GB service pack has caused the original poster’s machine to run out of space, then they were close to having a problem anyway and need to sort out the underlying issue.

That’s what I was getting at. Something pretty basic is going on.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@C210_Flyer if you consider to upgrade to Windows 10: Be aware that it comes with serious privacy issues.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/

I finally got my computer to act normally. Which means its running again but at least now it allows Skype again. It installed updates even though it wasnt connected to the internet. It was locked up “Installing updates Dont turn your computer off” After 1 hr it started to work again.

Steve and Biteworks and all the others thanks for the info. I will try those two.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message