Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windows - is it a bit of a joke?

Last Edited by Bathman at 31 Dec 02:20

???

As far as I am concerned Windows 8.x is more than spot on.

And it’s probably better than being held to ransom by the other iLot!

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

The original post got edited to remove all content.

I hope the originator comes back to inform us of his problem.

The title is also factually incorrect. Windows is far better than IOS which was originally developed for a touch control washing machine

Last Edited by Peter at 31 Dec 09:59
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve tried Ubuntu, and some of the old versions were good, though my training is in M$ so I was never an expert with it. Windows 8 is fine, ONLY if you download the free start menu by an external company. Otherwise in my opinion Windows 8 is a extremely hard OS to use. Maybe its fine on a tablet device, but those tiles on a desktop PC are rubbish, and the baby-like tile apps it gives you for viewing images and stuff are clunky to use. Using it through the desktop, like you would for Windows 7 is fine though.

Being one of those who use a computer just as a tool I have just put XP onto a Thinkpad X230 I7 – removing the old win7 O/S. This is a top end laptop – the new cost (I bought it used) was about £1600.

Suprisingly, Lenovo supply XP drivers for everything – clearly there is a big corporate requirement for it.

The only thing I could not get to work was the CD card reader which bluescreens as soon as any SD card is inserted. So I bought an Expresscard SD reader and that’s it done.

I have win8 on the Lenovo Tablet 2 tablet which I fly with. It is OK, for the very narrow range of uses which that machine gets.

Administrator

You guys must be kidding about loving Windows XP or even 8.

When I get software developers to work for me at our software development centre in Romania or elsewhere, we move them over to MacOS. Once they are used to it, really none of them wants to return back to Windows. Also, MacOS is based on a strong Unix kernel and quite stable. I personally have never been a fan of Windows, but do have 2 notebooks at hand. One with Windows XP (which will not be supported anymore by MS as of this coming February, so you might get into trouble as no updates and security patches will be released anymore) and a Dell with Windows 8. I must say that Windows 8 feels quite good to me and much better than what I have seen so far.

EDLE, Netherlands

Agreed. Moved to Macs a long time ago (when the first Intel iMacs came out). It is the best dev machine you can get. The former Windows machines survived in VMware VMs running on iMacs until today. I even need one XP VM for the JSUM crap running on my MacBook Air which I carry with me all the time in my flight bag.

Last Edited by Muelli at 31 Dec 16:12
EDXQ

JSUM is available as MacOS application.

EDLE, Netherlands

Maybe the OP will come back to fill in some detail

Incidentally I wonder if the KLN94 flash programmer works under anything later than XP…

Last Edited by Peter at 31 Dec 17:21
Administrator
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message