Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wingly flight sharing site (merged)

what_next wrote:

So that extra million might actually double the payout if three passengers are carried.

I know, that is what I’m trying to say above. With the damages that one can expect in the worst case (and that is what an insurance should be for), that would leave you with an uncovered amount of maybe 5 million instead of 6 million, which in both cases amounts to yourself going broke because you’re underinsured. That 1 million won’t make any difference to yourself (maybe a little difference to your passengers/other victims).

This may be relevant. It appears that this separation of passenger insurance used to be a common tactic, and may still be among disreputable insurers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another article on Wingly is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It would appear that hot on the tail of Uber, lot’s getting there proverbial underpants in a knot over this. Good or bad for GA? The OP suggests that it may be a good thing, shedding a positive light on a potentially failing activity and pastime. GA, that is………..

So, I suggest that it is a very positive thing, assuming transparency prior to any flight. The old guard, and bastions of aviation wellbeing, are slowly being dragged into the 21st Century. I suppose that as we get closer to human carrying, GPS directed drones, something has to give.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

More on wingly here

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

You’re indeed very unlikely to find somenone willing to do exactly the same trip as you do at the same time. But put yourself in the position of someone simply wanting to find a seat, be it in a car or a plane.
Why not take the chance if it doesn’t cost you anything but 2 minutes of your time?

I have a flight sharing website . Unlike what I expected when I created it in 2003, most of the ads come from people looking for seats, not from pilots or drivers offering them.
They’re ready to make one leg of the trip by train or by car if necessary. (The return trip for exemple)

In your exemple someone might be interested in flying with you between Lyon and Charleroi because there are no flights between the 2 cities. In France, there are not many domestic flights if you don’t live in Paris. You want to go from Strasbourg to Nantes? Or from Perigueux to Grenoble? Your only obvious options are trains or a car. It doesn’t hurt to add one more with a shared flight, even if it is less likely than a carpool.

Also, to answer your question, I know for sure that a pilot found a passenger to fly with him and his wife from Paris to the Island of Re in 2003, because he let me know. It was at the very beginning of the website.

I had to shut the site down because of the DGAC new regulations in 2016 but reopened it very recently thanks to the Conseil d’Etat cancelling them.

SE France

It would be very interesting to have such a site going, but I see several issues that need to be addressed for the site to work well:

1. It should be international. European countries are small enough, and quite a few shareable flights would cross at least one border. More importantly, I see it as the only way to create sufficient visibility among the general public.

2. It should allow fuzzy data: e.g. “I plan to fly from Prague to Cologne on any date of your choice between 4/11 and 7/11, back in 4-5 days. On my way, I can land at any airfield within 30 NM of the straight-line route from LKLT to EDKB” (for A to B flights), or “I plan to bore holes in the sky around LKBU for any length of time from 30 minutes to 3 hours at any time between 10:00 and 18:00 LT during the weekend of 28-29/10, willing to fly within 80 NM from LKBU” (for A to A flights). I’ll say it explicitly: we should be able to become as similar to air taxi as allowed by law. There should also be an option for adventure trips: “Departing from Prague between 4/11 and 7/11, planning a 14-day trip to 3-4 locations on the Adriatic coast”. The departure and destination should probably be searchable by metropolitan area rather than specific aerodrome.

3. It should provide several levels of anticipated dispatch rate: “VMC only”, “VMC at departure and destination” (VFR-only airfields), “soft IMC”, “hard IMC”

4. It should indicate the baggage capacity the pilot is willing to carry, including non-standard options: skis or other large objects, pets, dangerous goods (incl. specific types of them, e.g. scuba cylinders), etc. – in fact, this may become a major reason to prefer us to airlines.

5. It should indicate possible transfer options at departure and destination – in particular, whether the pilot can pick the passenger up on his way to/from the airfield, and whether the two airfields are easily accessible by public transport. Possibly also the reverse – whether the passenger can offer ground transportation to the pilot.

Anyone wants to add more ideas?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

What is wrong with e.g. Wingly? This is a classical the-winner-takes-it-all situation because it works better the more people you have on the site. You can offer seats on Wingly for free, you can decide how much up to a certain percentage of the total costs.

Wingly is strong in France and Germany. The UK based Skyuber recently closed down.

Last Edited by achimha at 09 Oct 14:41

Achim, Wingly is generally good – in fact, I must admit I haven’t looked at it in a while, and now it seems a lot better than it used to be. The question is really about attracting more people, which to some extent can be done by adding functionality and by targeting specific groups of passengers that may be especially interested in it. By the way, is anyone from Wingly here at EuroGA?

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 09 Oct 15:09
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I did register for Wingly…but am yet to take a passenger!

I joined when I was flying the same route every week mostly on my own thinking someone might want to do the same thing! I got quite a few enquiries but didn’t actually manage to get a booking.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message