Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wingly flight sharing site (merged)

Ultranomad wrote:

By the way, is anyone from Wingly here at EuroGA?

I’m quite active on the platform at times. Even had a repeat passenger now for the first time, turning into a “regular” when I fly up north and our travel paths correspond.

But if you’re asking if anyone from the Wingly team is on EuroGA – I don’t think so – yet. Lars is active on the German PuF forum though.

Incidentally, the platform does tick all your 5 wishlist items (to various degrees), @ultranomad.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick wrote:

Incidentally, the platform does tick all your 5 wishlist items (to various degrees), @ultranomad.

Yes, I checked it out today and saw that it does tick them indeed. It was my mistake to dismiss it in its early days, and I will try it as soon as I get my aircraft properly fixed (it’s flyable now, but with deferred defects).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There is an incredible amount of money flowing into this platform. Their execution seems to be good — they got this EASA charter, the DGAC’s abuse of power overturned, additional insurance coverage from Allianz for all flights. I think if there is a market for flight sharing that is worthwhile, they have all it takes to capture it.

Most of the flight sharing happens for A to A flights and a few standard trips, e.g. in Germany flying to an island in the morning and back in the afternoon.

Where is the money coming from?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Investors to build the platform.

A revenue share for each booking to run it.

Last Edited by achimha at 10 Oct 05:54

OK, but you can invest in Dutch tulips. The Q is what is the realistic revenue generator. “Touring” GA activity is very small.

Administrator

The founders and investors seem to think so.

Once the platform is built, competitions has been crushed and broad geographic coverage achieved, the costs to run it are rather small. There could very well be a viable market. It’s a small market but capturing it doesn’t cost billions like Uber.

You pay only your pro-rata share of the costs and a Wingly service fee of 15 % plus £4. Pilots are not allowed to generate a profit on the flight. The direct flight costs include fuel oil, landing fees and aircraft rental fees.

I am not sure the business model will be big enough.

Take Shoreham. A lot of flights – I believe about 70k movements a year. One of Europe’s busiest GA airports.

Administrator

I’ve advertised on Wingly a few times. So far I got only enquires from people wanting to do a specific flight, not join the flights I advertised. It should be expected as I’m based in Poland and Wingly is active only in DE, FR and GB.

They do make some money. They’re not even yet, but there’s a chance for it. As achimha said, this is a rolling snowball kind of site. If they get to scale, they’ll be hard to beat.

Last Edited by loco at 10 Oct 06:33
LPFR, Poland

I am registered, and haven’t yet taken a passenger, primarily because when I fly, I don’t really need the additional hassle, or have family with me, or I’m doing training, or whatever. I am getting mailed and reminded all the time though. What bothers me a bit, are the pilots doing the flights anyway, or are they only doing the flights because there is a request. If so, I am not sure if that is really meant by the cost sharing idea of EASA, but I am not an expert here. Doesn’t that create kind of a shadow air transport industry where private pilots with x hours of experience fly strangers from A to B, with the only profit of accruing hours, and therefore less expensive compared to the professionals ? Which could make the life of those firms hard. I mean, why go to a registered air transport firm with professional pilots holding CPLs, etc., when it’s also possible at half the cost with one of those platforms ?

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 10 Oct 07:38
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message