Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wingly flight sharing site (merged)

Indeed – this was discussed here and Wingly is not legal to do with an N-reg.

Probably not a big issue because in Europe nearly all N-reg are owner-flown and I would bet most Wingly business is done with either rented or syndicate planes. I just cannot imagine somebody who cares about his plane taking random people for flights.

N-reg related posts are here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I assume this has been discussed, but I have not read through all 13 previous pages of comments, that this would be considered as holding out and therefore prohibited for a private pilot using their part 61 certificate. This might also apply when flying an N registered aircraft and using a 61.75 pilot certificate. Here is what the FAA says regarding sharing of expenses.

AC_61_142_Pvt_Plt_Sharing_Expenses_pdf

KUZA, United States

I forgot to upload the original article in case anyone is interested

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

expand into … Scandinavia under the framework of EASA which they work closely with.

We’ll see how that goes. I know from meetings with other clubs in Sweden that many are strongly against the idea. The question was raised recently at the board of my club and it was decided to not allow “advertised cost-sharing”. The reason stated was the additional pressure that will be put on pilots to carry out flights even if conditions are suboptimal. I was the only one arguing to allow it but was overruled. (So much for the power of “aeroclub presidents”.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Oct 08:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Those are interesting numbers. Especially how much Wingly spend on marketing and how cheaply they got their insurance

Administrator

Just read an article on Wingly in the August Info-pilote, summarised below. Nothing really new, but it does give some figures. Anything I’ve added is in square brackets.

[In France] the platform is used by 190 clubs [out of 600]. They have 31 full-time staff in Paris, from 17 nationalities, in 4 departments:

• 7 in operations, for pilots in French (FR BE CH), German (DE AT CH) and English (UK)
  • 4 in passenger relations
  • 9 in marketing and communications (basically heavy advertising)
  • 7 in product and technical looking after the website

Fees are 18% of the flight cost, plus €15 per passenger. If in an FFA club, there’s an additional €5 temporary membership cost. Their average commission is €54 per flight. 40% of flights never go ahead, resulting in a full refund to the passengers. Their costs are higher, €82 per flight, broken down as:

• €35 marketing
  • €32 HR/salaries
  • €13 admin
  • €2 insurance

The €28 difference is made up by pro-aviation private capital, until fixed costs per flight reduce as Wingly expands [no timeframe given]. They’re also looking for a way for pilot-users to invest. Other plans are to continue working on the Velis electro project, and expand into Italy, Spain and Scandinavia under the framework of EASA which they work closely with.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

We are not doing a lot of Wingly but we now have 9 students going through the PPL course.
Most have come through the BIA and.are young ie teenagers (hooray).
The others are more mature but still working.and have reached what one might say settled financial status ie have enough spare income to do the things they have always wanted to do.
This group are up for cost sharing if others are going somewhere interesting, to soak in the atmosphere perhaps🙂
This influx of students has almost doubled our number of hours since the beginning of the year.

France

Seems Wingly is getting more accepted in many French aeroclubs, sounds like great initiative: get more people motivated for flying, seeing new faces (rather than the usual old farts), flying more often, splitting on higher fuel costs…

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 May 14:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Wingly is going to be in big trouble in the UK if this proposal is implemented.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

If you want to do what is basically mentoring i.e. getting people interested in aviation, then that’s fine. But from my experience of having done quite a lot of that, the sort of people who you want to get interested in aviation are probably not going to be highly receptive to being asked for money Most will offer to buy you a lunch, but here we are talking about them paying serious money.

That’s not my experience with Wingly. I have had a fair share of people who have a genuine interest in aviation, or even small GA – some who “always wanted to get a PPL, but never got around to it”, some simmers, but of course also people who had not had any touch points with GA beforehand and who just think it’s ever so cool to be able to ride along to any of our islands in about an hour with a perspective previously unknown to them. And if a a handful of them later considers taking up flying – it’s been worth it, regardless of the money. But most people understand that flying is sort of expensive and I have not met many people, even outside of Wingly and among friends, who would take it for granted to be flown around for free and many would offer a share (my acceptance of which would vary depending on the degree of friendship and the circumstances/mission )

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
131 Posts
Sign in to add your message