Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Winter operations / lowest temperature for starting / preheating methods (merged)

Hi,

Techs told me adding avgas is usefull on oldies like Yak-18, but will be useless with 172SP :(

Finally, it seems, that this will be my solution: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/ezHeater.php

Peter, techs also told me, it will be enough to warm up oil sump. So, I hope, solution above will be good for my conditions.

Thank you for replies!

EVCA

This morning … around the summit of Zugspitze (Germany’s tallest mountain) in FL105

Winter Flying here is scarce and far in between under VFR. Most of the time, our local METAR will give IMC, which means either <5km vis or <1500 ft ceiling. The best possibilities are usually behind cold fronts, when the air is clear for a few hours before the fog creeps back in. Personally I am not planning anything between November and end of January.

Above the fog is pure flying heaven. Who ever can fly IFR out of the airport (once CAT I conditions are available for the return) will find wonderful winter Wonderland in the Alps. The others may well hibernate or do necessary maintenance.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Getting the plane deiced takes some time in the winter. After that there could be fog and other bad weather, but in most cases it is still possible to get out and fly.

EDLE, Netherlands

It can be hard to get this de-icing done. You need to have one of

• a kit you carry in the plane (it better not leak!)
  • a kit you can keep in the hangar, preferably on wheels
  • you pay loads of money to a deicing service; I have heard of figures like €1000 to deice a twin – but most GA airports don’t have that

A lot of people scrape ice off the windows with e.g. a credit card (Amex is good for that ) but I wouldn’t do it on a plane which I owned…

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Dec 09:06
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is that heated or unheated fluid you’re applying?

Thinking I need to get something like that…

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I do it with unheated TKS fluid. Works fine. Low cost. Need to make sure it does not leak.

EDLE, Netherlands

Thanks.

Why TKS instead of Type 1? Type 1 seems to be almost half price.

20kg of Type 1 here for Euro 63: http://shop.aero-sense.com/type-1-fluid.html

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

In my case, it’s for a practical reason. When on a trip, I need to carry some “reserve” TKS fluid (for use in the TKS system) in any case, so I just use that. Hence, I don’t need to stock, handle and carry two different types of fluid.

But yes, type-1 appears to be a lot cheaper. Don’t know which is more effective.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It is only very rare that I have to spray the aircraft, so have some extra TKS which I can poor into the TKS wing tanks.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message