Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Winter operations / lowest temperature for starting / preheating methods (merged)

Aveling wrote:

Do you mind me asking where that is? In Finland?

Uppsala,/Sundbro, Sweden (ESKC). You can’t reasonably use an aircraft here the year round without hangarage, so every airworthy aircraft on the field has that. Unfortunately we don’t have hangarage for visiting aircraft.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Feb 17:30
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I fly all year long, but much less in the winter – while we don’t get much in the way of freezing conditions, we do have brutally short daylight hours and almost constant gales with surface windspeeds frequently greater than my stall speed.

Andreas IOM

Airborne_Again wrote:

Uppsala,/Sundbro, Sweden (ESKC)

Aah I see. I actually planned to call in there when I routed from Vasteras to Malmi last year, but time and schedule didn’t permit. Maybe this summer..

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Winter is frustrating for me because my preferred kind of conditions are :

• sunny winter days (snowy is best)
  • night flying
    So I love winter !

Problem is, winters are more and more cloudy and rainy. So lots and lots of cancellations. With many club’s rule of 90-day currency, sometimes it gets tricky to stay current on all types (I dropped one out of three this winter). Many pilots in France completely stop flying from November to April.

Mild and rainy winters mean an IR gets more and more sense !

LFOU, France

A balmy minus 35 centigrade next week in Kang. Perfect weather for muskox hunting for those of you venturing north.

London, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

Mild and rainy winters mean an IR gets more and more sense !

But without de icing the options are too restricted by the freezing level

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Winter has sunny days ;-) EDLE – LOWZ went fine…

EDM_, Germany

I just finished my ME-IR training between the end of December and end of January, which gave me roughly 20 hours flying time. I would say it is a perfect flying activity for winter time as you get to see the sun when everything on the ground is below low clouds. You’re also not in it for the destinations, and still get to see some real IMC, and learn to make realistic go/no-go decisions. I was lucky to have a flexible instructor who wouldn’t mind coming to the airport without knowing if the weather would be good enough for our flight or not. In all but one cases it turned out that we could go.

The one time where we didn’t go was when I planned a VFR departure the day before, but finally we had low clouds and north-easterly winds which means the airport capacity in Zurich is diminished and they don’t give out new slots to light IFR aircraft. So I couldn’t change to an IFR flight plan which would have been necessary.

Boots and prop de-ice were certainly good to have for this, but we never planned in a way where we would have had to use them (I did use de-icing once or twice on an approach but the simple solution would have been to climb 1000 ft to be on top again).

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 09 Feb 12:50
Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Just some pics of our flight to LFKC (Calvi) from wednesday to friday. We crossed the alps twice IR at FL 150 and FL 140. Especially the flight back yesterday during sunset was spectacular.

EDDS , Germany
Sign in to add your message