Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Within EASA: Flag of convenience?

Following the discussion about which country has IFR certification for airplanes e.t.c. I have started to realize more and more that within Europe, EASA nonwithstanding, there seem to be massive differences in the way registrar states handle their airplanes and aircrews.

So far, the flag of convenience discussion has centered about N-reg vs EASA reg. However, what about within EASA itself?

Which countries are known to be GA friendly, have least hassle and most pro sides towards light GA and therefore could be a safe haven to register one’s EASA reg airplane in?

Criteria could be various, such as the said IFR certification criteria or if at all needed, cost of governmental overview, basically all the considerations which have driven people to go for n-reg, but within EASA land.

What are your experiences?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

What are your experiences?

I have never heard of Germans registering their aircraft in another EASA country, but of quite a few from other countries (especially UK and Italy) registering theirs in Germany. It can’t be too bad here. Also I have heard that our authority’s fees are among the cheaper ones.

Last Edited by what_next at 06 Dec 17:42
EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes. there are numerous differences between countries in Europe, most of them on the maintenance side. Many of these differences should cease to exist in the next few years, but there will be always be many subtle differences, some of which can make a difference moneywise.

Germany – the IFR certification thing and a few other oddities notwithstanding – is one of the most reasonable CAAs. The most important example is the flexibility with regards to manufacturer recommended TBOs, although this might change to some degree soon. D-reg. Is also very popular outside Germany…many private (=non flight school) aircraft in Italy and (to a lesser degree) Spain are D-reg. Same thing in Austria (they have horrendous CAA fees), where language makes no difference.

I know that operating a private aircraft on I-reg. is a royal PITA that only a masochist would do. The have lots of weird additional maintenance requirements and have no flexibility with regards to TBOs.

Sweden’s CAA is also known to be a beast to deal with.

UK used to have weird things like “star annuals” and so on but I think that’s gone now.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Dec 17:47
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This is not my field but I understand Sweden permits this

(Lancair Evolution) to be registered there, and subsequently flown VFR-only

all over the world (or maybe all over the EU).

If they can do it for IFR, I will get one

Sweden’s CAA is also known to be a beast to deal with.

Maybe, but – like divorce – it may be worth every penny

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Dec 18:04
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here in Belgium, half* of the microlights are registered in France – but of course microlights are outside EASA territory.
Similarly, an ever growing part of our glider park is registered in Germany.

*rough estimate, might be 30% or 60% too

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

my understanding is that Sweden allows Experimental IFR. I believe there are a couple on Lancair IV on SE-reg flying IFR around Europe….

EGTR

my understanding is that Sweden allows Experimental IFR. I believe there are a couple on Lancair IV on SE-reg flying IFR around Europe….

I think I saw a photo somewhere…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I just heard that Italy also allows IFR on adequately equiped experimental planes. Seems that this one is authorised for IFR operations:
Link

And according to this statement, the owner can fly it IFR in Europe without hassle

ECAC Recommendation INT.S/11-1 (dated 1980) reads as follows:

that Member States accept home-built aircraft with a certificate of airworthiness or a “permit to
fly” issued by another Member State, to fly in their country without any restrictions other than
those stated in the certificate of airworthiness or “permit to fly”.
Link

Belgium

By the way, this Italian registered IFR approved Lancair 4 is now for sale:
http://www.planecheck.com/index.asp?ent=da&id=25679&cor=y

Belgium

My plane is G-reg and based in Germany. Why? Because it was easy to do … and doesn’t have many downsides. The main one is the 6 months interval for the 50 h inspection, and some stuff that cannot be maintained on condition like in Germany.

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message