Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Women in the Captain's seat

A little something to mull over for International Women’s Day…yes, it’s THAT day today…

9 Amazing Female Aviators You Should Know About

Not bad….but still some way to go, sistas!

Last Edited by Jojo at 08 Mar 14:49
Bordeaux

We’ll only really be there if we even do not bother to check a persons gender. So whether these pilots are/were female or not – I really don’t care.

PS my own support was to divert from traditional role patterns by sweeping and mopping the house today – and that in brilliant flying weather, too! But I’ve too bad a cold to go flying anyway, more’s the pity.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

We’ll only really be there if we even do not bother to check a persons gender.
So whether these pilots are/were female or not – I really don’t care.

That’s an interesting view, Jan!

Be careful when you fly with Ryanair. You might be surprised :)

The bottom line, guys, is that it is now 0930 UTC so you have missed your chance to take your gurl out for a nice surprise dinner, which might have made her more likely to fly with you

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Jan, that’s a worthy goal, but the way to get there is to get women interested in the fields where they’re underrepresented, and the best way to do that is for them to have role models.

EDAZ

It seems like aviation is like the computer science department at university; it attracts very few ladies. Therefore, when one shows up, the rest of us get all excited. I should know since I was a student in computer science and that is where I met my wife

Among female aviators I can think of, apart from the obvious:

• Catherine Maunoury; 10 aerobatic championship titles and currently director of the Le Bourget aviation museum, youngest french pilot of her time
  • Turi Widerøe ; first female pilot in public transport (Widerøe and SAS)
  • Caroline Aigle ; first French fighter jet pilot
  • Dorine Bourneton ; became a private pilot after having recovered from a crash in a light aircraft in which her legs became paralyzed. Now involved in aerobatics.

Air France has 7% female pilots.

Rumouredly, female pilots withstand G forces better than their male counterparts. Cannot remember the source.

In France female pilots have their own club.

LFPT, LFPN

And of course

Svetlana Kapanina, Patty Wagstaf and many others

If there is a man or female in the captain seat of an airliner, I couldn’t care less.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

which seems to me gender discriminating and thus illegal. Or it ought to be.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

If there is a man or female in the captain seat of an airliner, I couldn’t care less.

I agree BUT what does worry me is when I see the flight deck crew looking so very YOUNG. Perhaps it is my old age that thinks of them that way.

UK, United Kingdom

In the U.K. too.

http://bwpa.co.uk

Egnm, United Kingdom
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message