Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Worldwide" Satellite Rain Radar and Airport data

Satellite provided rain radar and airport data for the Mariana Archipelago.

EDLE, Netherlands

Which website is this from, Aeroplus, and (if not public) what is the access?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s the AeroPlus weather app. Interesting that it integrates with the Iridium Go.

Cool, how does this compare to the ADL products, in terms of the data it provides?

@stevelup: yes, the data is from the AeroPlus weather app for iPhone and iPad and is received through the Iridium GO! device. The weather app communicates directly over WIFI with the Iridium GO! device and manages the internet connection to get the weather data. The rain radar is available for Europe, North America, Central America, Australia and parts of the Pacific. Airport data is worldwide and includes also the GFS data and a simplified Log P Skew T diagram which we call Clouds Diagram. The lightning data will be added in about a month, which will be worldwide and without any significant delay and will include in-cloud lightning data as well.

It is not available yet, but we are about to release it into the AppStore on Monday. Is there anything specific we are missing?

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 30 Sep 08:36
EDLE, Netherlands

@Noe: it provides rain radar and strike data in Europe, but also in other parts of the world. And … you can also make and receive phone calls with the Iridium GO! over your Bluetooth enabled headset (e.g. the Bose A20). Works like a charm.

EDLE, Netherlands

This is a nice set-up, and good idea to aim at hardware used in boating: number of units in service may be higher, and subscription cost for data maybe less.

I’ve been using the ADL for 2 years now, and time needed to get data has greatly improved over the time.
I guess this is not linked to an improvement of the Iridium network, rather to a better compression of the data and overall writing of the software.

Q: can you file flight plan over SAT ?

can you file flight plan over SAT ?

Taking that Q in isolation, you could just about run one of the flight plan filing services (basically Achim’s router, or EuroFPL, of those I use) over a Thuraya phone (50kbits/sec, when it works at all) but not over Iridium which is way too slow.

A custom interface could be developed for route development and FP filing etc which works on Iridium at 2400 baud. Whether it would be of much use, who knows? Normally there is no need for airborne filing unless one needs to fake one’s departure point

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Whether it would be of much use, who knows? Normally there is no need for airborne filing unless one needs to fake one’s departure point

I thought of a place where you would have no internet connection… I must admit this not frequent
But my question was mainly academical :-)

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 30 Sep 15:59

(as I know Aeroplus also developed an app for FP filing)

44 Posts
Sign in to add your message